shower circuit | on ElectriciansForums

Discuss shower circuit in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

A

ample current

When wiring a new circuit for a shower, does the isolator switch have to be in the bathroom, and while im on the subject is it a regulation to have an isolator switch?

When wiring a new circuit for a shower, does the isolator switch have to be in the bathroom

No, in fact mine is downstairs, but if it is not local it has to be clearly labelled (I will look the reg up).

is it a regulation to have an isolator switch?

Iam almost certain that this falls under 'manufacturers recommendations', but again I will have to look this up, but even if it is not a reg, it is still good practice to fit, and I have always fitted DP isolation to a shower.

The actual MCB will give you isolation and the switch on the shower itself will give the switching so there is no regulation apart from perhaps a manufacturers requirement to install a another device

I thought that could possibly be the case Malcom, but I still prefer to fit a DP isolator, in case of a shower fault (unwanted tripping on a Neutral fault), and it covers all scenarios (TT, manufacturers instructions etc.)

i prefer to use a wall switch (45A or 50A, D/P) obviously outside of zone 2, preferably outside the bathroom. they don't fail as often as pull switches.

funnily enough, just replaced one of those in my mate's house. he's moaning as it's only been 15 years since i fitted it with his new ( 1997) shower. cheeky bugger asked if it was still under warranty. charged him a tenner for the switch and then it was his wallet came out in the pub.

Reply to shower circuit in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net