Simple Question I need Clearing Up | on ElectriciansForums

Discuss Simple Question I need Clearing Up in the Talk Electrician area at ElectriciansForums.net

R

Ryan_Moore

Ok so I am going for an apprenticeship, and without wanting to bore you with all the details, which are in another thread, I am just gonna ask, what voltage is used in Industrial 3 phase supplies? Older sparks have told me 415v, and assured me of that, I have read 400v somewhere, I have done the maths (230xroot3~398.4.....That is off the top of my head so dont hold me to that) which would back up the 400v idea...so which is it forum, 400 or 415v?

Yes, you are correct - √3 x 230 = 398.4 which is near enough 400v.
If you measure it it's probably more like 415, but then the phase voltage would be more like 240 or even 250v.

Yes, you are correct - √3 x 230 = 398.4 which is near enough 400v.
If you measure it it's probably more like 415, but then the phase voltage would be more like 240 or even 250v.

230v used to be 240v 400v used to be 415v but like adam says when you measure it usually closer to 250v. the voltage changed for us to bring us in line with europe just like changing the colours red and black now brown and blue

Thanks alot guys, so the correct point blank answer would be 400v and upon expansion talking about variance within the values of the single phase( ranging from +/- 10% amirite) => value of 3 phase could be upwards of 415v

Ok one last question promise, in single phase the appliance is powered by 1 phase(line) and the neutral, in polyphase the appliance is powered by 2 phases(lines) amirite?

Polyphase is literally 'more than one phase'. In the UK polyphase is supplied as 3 phases with either 4 connectors (3 phase and CPC) or 5 connectors (3 phases, neutral and CPC).
In America they use 2 phases for powering certain high powered equipment, but you don't need to know that.

we used to have 3 phases, red, yellow, blue. now they're not phase, they're lines, L1,L2,L3. the reason for this pointless change is so that when the lala land realize how stupid the brown, black, grey phase colours are, they don't need so much change when the colours are replaces with orange, pink and lilac, to match their hideous ties in sprout land.

I would say 3 for your interview, you could always point out that some equipment may only utilise two of the phases (or as Tel correctly refers to them now Lines).

Last edited:
we used to have 3 phases, red, yellow, blue. now they're not phase, they're lines, L1,L2,L3. the reason for this pointless change is so that when the lala land realize how stupid the brown, black, grey phase colours are, they don't need so much change when the colours are replaces with orange, pink and lilac, to match their hideous ties in sprout land.

I think phase colours for you are the same as downlighters for me old mate

Reply to Simple Question I need Clearing Up in the Talk Electrician area at ElectriciansForums.net