Single phase motor help needed | on ElectriciansForums

Discuss Single phase motor help needed in the Electrician Talk | All Countries area at ElectriciansForums.net

I

indiantim

Hi all,

Just got my latest machine tool a Capco surface grinder, equipped with a 3/4 hp single phase motor which was seperate and disconnected. However I cannot indentify the connections to be made in the motor as there are no markings and only 4 connections, the capacitor is also distconnected. All tips greatfully received. I am connecting it via a DOL NVR starter from Axminster. Which stud for live and neutral please

[ElectriciansForums.net] Single phase motor help needed[ElectriciansForums.net] Single phase motor help needed

thank you

Tim

From what i remember (going back 20 yrs here) the resistance of the starting winding is a touch higher than the running winding and the cap if i recall connects between the L of the starting winding and the terminal for the starting winding, i'm not entirely 100 % on this so hopefully i'll be corrected or otherwise.
P.S Make sure you have good contact when checking the resistance.

As malcoa said find the start and run windings by comparing the resistance. The run winding should be connected across L&N, the start should have the capacitor in series with it. that is one end of the start winding to N the other end to a capacitor terminal, the other capacitor terminal connected to L. Have fun.

and i seem to remember from my dark days, that if it runs the wrong way, just reverse the start winding connections.

As malcoa said find the start and run windings by comparing the resistance. The run winding should be connected across L&N, the start should have the capacitor in series with it. that is one end of the start winding to N the other end to a capacitor terminal, the other capacitor terminal connected to L. Have fun.[/QUOTEThanks for clearing it up Tony, I just realised what a mess I'd made of explaining it lol

Reply to Single phase motor help needed in the Electrician Talk | All Countries area at ElectriciansForums.net