Smelly Odour Randomly Started plumbing advice | on ElectriciansForums
  • Thread starter PlumbingNoob
  • Start date
  • Replies 0
  • Views 117

Discuss Smelly Odour Randomly Started plumbing advice in the Plumbers Forums area at ElectriciansForums.net

Smelly Odour Randomly Started I have had a mystery smell start in my house all of a sudden.
The smell is prominent in an adjoining linen closet to my bathroom and appears to e coming from subfloor.
My home sits on brick piers (single story) with a dirt subfloor and forced fan subfloor ventilation installed to keep it all dry.
Note: No recent plumbing works done in the house (>12 months since anything was touched)

I have had 2 plumbers out so far and both have stated the following and thus far not found root cause of the smell...

No blockages in the main sewer line (plumber check it with camera)
Plumbers say it smelt similar to sewage
No identifiable leaks in subfloor
Subfloor (dirt) is not wet in any area
All drains in the every room in the house do not smell (waste, shower, bath, toilet, laundry e.t.c)
No obvious dead rodent or animals in subfloor

Plumbers were unable to check the plumbing directly under the bathroom as their is no access to get a camera or jet in there without dismantling some of the plumbing (70's home).

The smell is very prominent in my linen closet and in the bathroom when my subfloor vents turn off for the night, and then when the vents are startup again in the morning, hence clearing the air under the house, removes all of that smell from the bathroom and 90% of it from the linen closet.

If all my p-traps are doing their job and I have no obvious source of the odour, what could be causing this mystery smell?

Both Plumbers recommended redoing all the under bathroom pipe work as they cannot be certain that there is no leak or crack in the pipes buried in the dirt before it joins up to the main sewer line.

Is this the right approach? If the smell does not dispersal or the pipe rework is not the fix, what do I do next? Running out of ideas.

Any advise welcome
Thanks
PlumbingNoob

Smelly Odour Randomly Started to read more on the original thread at Plumbing Advice

See also UK Plumbing Advice for all UK plumbing advice needs.

Reply to Smelly Odour Randomly Started plumbing advice in the Plumbers Forums area at ElectriciansForums.net