Sockets on light circuit | on ElectriciansForums

Discuss Sockets on light circuit in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
Currently doing a Electrical condition report. Found that all lights in a suspended ceiling are on standard 3 pin plugs and connected to standard 3 pin sockets which are on 1.5t/e radials.

Is this acceptable and should I note something on the report or label not for 13A plug appliances etc. ?

They should be on 5 amp sockets and plug tops but as far as a code goes..........

How would you code it and what reg would you use to justify it? (I'm assuming the circuit is otherwise acceptable)

Have seen this often found in industrial units. Makes for easily adaptable lighting configurations.

As long as the circuit has the appropriate pd then I cant see a problem. if someone plugs a device in that exceeds the capacity of the pd then it will trip out. sorted

I'd consider a C3 and recommend the plugs and sockets are changed for 2A round pin plugs and sockets or klik type connectors to reduce the possibility of plugging in something inappropriate.

Presumably the sockets are above the suspended ceiling ?

If so, and they are protected with the correct ocpd for the cable, then no code, as they are not likely to be used for anything else, and even if an unsuitable load is connected then the pd will trip.

This was/is fairly common.

Reply to Sockets on light circuit in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Similar Threads

• Question
IP68 sockets are similar to IP67, they just take a few days longer for the water to fill them up....
Replies
Views
I made some adaptor plugs up when Maplins closed down, I got a job lot of insulated 4mm banana sockets for a few quid and made up a full range...
Replies
Views
  • Question
Recommend this: Electricians Guide to Inspection and Testing Book -...
Replies
Views
  • Question
Since my last post I have used the oven several times and it is still working ! On reading the 'regulatory' position I will ask an electrician to...
Replies
Views
  • Question
Thanks for the input guys. Lighting track is out of the question. The routing (h section guirders and angle iron) means that swa cable clipped...
Replies
Views

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

YOUR Unread Posts

This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by untold.media Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks