sodium lighting | Page 2 | on ElectriciansForums

Discuss sodium lighting in the Electrician Talk | All Countries area at ElectriciansForums.net

Harmonics don’t become a problem until you use three phase. Single phase current out = current back, no matter how wobbly it is. Once you introduce three phase in to the equation harmonics affect the neutral current. The 3rd and 5th being the most relevant ones.
Years ago you may have installed 3½ core distribution cables, but now with the problems of harmonics caused by solid state switching a 4 core may now be needed.

Last edited by a moderator:
in street lighting circuits we used rule of thumb 6x250w son ts per circuit 16mm swa or concentric 6a at bottom of pole 10 if it was 400w and 20a ctype breaker
the problems arose when you had a faultu ballast n it took out a circuit as the breaker tripped due to the fault taking it out rather than the fuse

ie 9 lights running normaly take 18 a one faulty takes another 10a it would trip MCB before blowing fuse if you get my drift figures Iv used might not be accurate but its to get the jist across

Single or 3 phase installations, ...both will be a problem where high harmonic currents are generated by the type of loads being supplied. DNOs are getting very worried these days about there distribution TXs becoming overloaded with the amount of harmonics returning to there TXs. These so called energy saving lamps that are becoming more and more prevalent in every household, have more than just a little in the way of detrimental side effects...lol!!!

As far as i'm aware, those half sized neutral multi core cables, are not allowed for general distribution these days, and i reckon there are going to be more than just a few of those already installed, are going to need replacing, ...sooner rather than later too!!! lol!!

Energy saving my left foot! It’s about time the loony greens were brought to account for their political misinformation.

The supply infrastructure is being damaged as you say 54. Cables are just the tip of the iceberg, switchgear with ½ rated neutrals, transformers and tails.

Someone is going to have to pay for it all, in my view it should be by a surcharge on energy saving lamps, things with switch mode power supplies, etc.

Last edited by a moderator:

Reply to sodium lighting in the Electrician Talk | All Countries area at ElectriciansForums.net