Solid state contactor??? | on ElectriciansForums

Discuss Solid state contactor??? in the Electrician Talk | All Countries area at ElectriciansForums.net

G

gerard

Hi,

I am using the relays of a control panel to switch on a single phase contactor. This contactor then turns on a motor. The relays are 24V dc rated and inside this control panel there is electronic circuitry. I am worried that the back emf created by the contactor coil might damage the relays or even worse, damage the electronics inside the control panel. Would it be better to use a solid state single phase contactor rather than the conventional contactor to prevent this?

i wouldnt bother, i dont know your exact apllication but i dont think the back emf produced by a collapsing 24v coil will cause your electronics much bother. if it helps you sleep better connect a diode in parallel and in opposition with the coil

To prevent arcing accross contacts and to dissipate the back EMF safely a free wheeling diode is connected in parallel (anode on minus) to the coil. This way it doesn't conduct normally. When the coil is switched off, the voltage across the coil reverses to maintain the current's direction. Then the diode carries the current until the energy is consumed by the coil's inner resistance.

This can be used for DC only. For AC use resistor/capacitor (RC) network

Hi,

Thanks for that. I'm pretty sure these surge suppressors can be easily purchased so I will do as you say!!

Thanks for that.

Reply to Solid state contactor??? in the Electrician Talk | All Countries area at ElectriciansForums.net

Similar Threads

• Question
This contactor you suggested unfortunately only has two NO switches rather than 1 NC and 1 NO required for the CR3 current sensing bypass...
Replies
Views
  • Question
Thanks. This may be the entire problem but I can't tell. Should I assume that this wiring scheme (2 VFDs on one 240V line) is impossible to get...
Replies
Views
I posted a month ago regarding a single phase motor + panel I have been given to try and sort following water damage to the panel. The assembly...
Replies
Views
Good one . Thanks. I was finding Fluke etc £££!
Replies
Views
  • Question
And here is the said schematic. This is the speed control section, showing the converter, drive motor, magnetic amplifier and related components...
    • Informative
Replies
Views

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

YOUR Unread Posts

This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by untold.media Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks