Some things never cease to amaze me. | on ElectriciansForums

Discuss Some things never cease to amaze me. in the Talk Electrician area at ElectriciansForums.net

M

millwall ken

Hi all,
Now as some of you will know I'm doing commercial maintenance in a shopping centre at the moment. Nice job, lovely hours and other benefits make up for the crap wages - but hell I'm really enjoying working there, so who cares that the wages are a couple of grand below the going rate.
Anyway I got asked to go into one of the units yesterday as they had no lights. Now we don't normally have anything to do with the units on a day to day basis, as we are just responsible for the common areas.
Anyway went into the unit and introduced myself to the bloke in there. Not that he even spoke english. Anyway finally got him to show me the Dis Board.
WTF!!! NO lighting circuit at the board. Their lights were on two radial circuits going back to a 13a MK metal double socket outlet. YES, you've guessed it each plug top that was plugged in had a 13a fuse as well.
I give up....

I was involved in the testing commissioning stages of a large shopping centre, and quite a few things opened my eyes to (lets say) deviations from the norm!!!

One such deviation was that not a single store/unit had a fireman's switch!! They were all multiply located in cupboards down a backstage corridors, and the fire chief for the area had agreed to this!!! I wonder how much he got paid, to put his front line firemen at risk?? To top it all, there wasn't any fireman's over ride controls on the HVAC systems either, .....but there was by the time the place was open, i kicked up merry hell over that one!!!

I was involved in the testing commissioning stages of a large shopping centre, and quite a few things opened my eyes to (lets say) deviations from the norm!!!

One such deviation was that not a single store/unit had a fireman's switch!! They were all multiply located in cupboards down a backstage corridors, and the fire chief for the area had agreed to this!!! I wonder how much he got paid, to put his front line firemen at risk?? To top it all, there wasn't any fireman's over ride controls on the HVAC systems either, .....but there was by the time the place was open, i kicked up merry hell over that one!!!

Careful mate, you'll get put on the employers 'non-existant' blacklist if you put your head too far above the parapit.

Careful mate, you'll get put on the employers 'non-existant' blacklist if you put your head too far above the parapit.

That's one thing i don't have to worry about Ken, haven't worked in the UK since that last project, and no intention of working there again. In fact this new project i'm starting will probably be my last, ...I'm under orders from the higher authority, ....you know, the one that must be obeyed...lol!!!

That's one thing i don't have to worry about Ken, haven't worked in the UK since that last project, and no intention of working there again. In fact this new project i'm starting will probably be my last, ...I'm under orders from the higher authority, ....you know, the one that must be obeyed...lol!!!

Oh yes mate, I live with three of them fella. One of whom is determined to be either a sparkie or bloody chef... Don't ask me mate!!!

She can go on one of those one day wonder courses to become a chef. It’s all boil in the bag these days. That will give her plenty of time to become a spark then….pml. I can see it now, father and daughter working together! :D

With regards to the original post. It’s good to see that the feeds have come from the same unit. It’s not uncommon for them to come from next door. ;)

Lol god if only it was a one day wonder to be a chef lol!!, 5 hard years in 5 star hotels, 60 hrs a week for 40hrs pay and crap conditions!! just to finish my apprentiship, the following 10 years after that wernt much better

only someone that was certified insane would wanna do that now

Reply to Some things never cease to amaze me. in the Talk Electrician area at ElectriciansForums.net