spare capacity | on ElectriciansForums

Discuss spare capacity in the Electrician Talk | All Countries area at ElectriciansForums.net

D

davelerave

how would i determine quickly if i have sufficient spare capacity on

a TPN final board for an additional load?

also i'm working off 4% total allowable VD(16volts)- should i allow a percentage for the 3P final circuit as the length/VD on sub-main isn't obvious?

Last edited by a moderator:
worst case is if all existing circuits are pulling rated current all at same time. add up breaker ratings . too vague a question to know if and what diversity can be allowed.

you mean add up 'total connected load' for worst case?

only just looked at it
it's a school sub-board with a mix of lighting .sockets. hand dryers mostly

prob not much diversity on lighting here

i'd take 100% lighting, 60% sockets, 30% hand dryers. add that up, then subtract from max. board amps.

it's 63amp tpn

i'd agree with lighting and dryers- but more diversity on sockets imo

is this the only way of doing this?

prob the easiest way to get the lighting demand is to clamp it during school hours

Last edited by a moderator:
ok. go for more on sockets. there's no hard and fast rule. as they say, you're the one on siter. it's your decision. try a clamp meter on the incomer/s and get someone to go round switching things on and off, see what it reads.

Reply to spare capacity in the Electrician Talk | All Countries area at ElectriciansForums.net

Similar Threads

• Question
Hi There How did you get on with your basement project?
Replies
Views
  • Question
With what looks like only 5 circuits you can probably put a little 5 way garage consumer unit in there if money is tight
Replies
Views
  • Question
BS3871 type 3's have a similar shaped operating curve to BS60898 type C's. Any fault that will meet the disconnection time of 5s (for 63A...
Replies
Views
  • Question
Hi Thought I would update, did the RFC circuit as per your suggestion. Did the r1 & rN test readings at 0.31 ohm thanks again for the sound advice.
Replies
Views
I can imagine it just disappearing (loudly) under short circuit conditions, then the resulting blast/plasma etc. casing the busbars to flash over...
Replies
Views

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

YOUR Unread Posts

This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by untold.media Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks