Split Load cable kit To create unprotected Way on Consumer Unit. | on ElectriciansForums

Discuss Split Load cable kit To create unprotected Way on Consumer Unit. in the Talk Electrician area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
Has anyone created an unprotected way on a consumer unit using a split load conversin kit. In effect converting a "normal" Unit to a High Integrity Unit.

And does this in any way fall foul of the 17th edition regulations.

The reason I ask is because I've been asked to install a supply to a detached garage which has a SWA cable already run.

The customer is tight with his money and wants the job as cheap but safe as possible.
The consumer unit is under the stairs and there is very limited room for a Henley block to be mounted to supply the garrage seperately.

I would intend to install a 2 way RCD protected Unit in the garage which would in turn supply 3 double sockets a lighting circuit and an electric garage door.

The consumer unit has a spare way with a 16A breaker.

I dont wish to install to the RCD protected way in the house thus eliminating unwanted tripping to the house supply.

Anybody any advice as to whether this would be a safe and more cost affective option.

Any advice grately appreciated.

why dont u use a rcbo, i have seen this done in a house they had a high integrity board 2 ,4,4 they used the 2 way main switch side ,1 was for the fridge only radial 16amp, and the other smoke detecters 6 amp,
they were both seperate rcbos, hope this helps

Sorry if not clear on my discription.
But yes what I want to do is seperate the 16A mcb in the house from the RCD protected way so that the SWA is not protected and install a 2 way unit in the garage with RCD protection.

The only problem I anticipate is no spare neutral bar in the consumer unit. High integrity have 3 but a "normal" 2 RCD unit has only 2 (one for each RCD). Dont fancy using a connection block to connect the seperate neutral. Seems a bit untidy. It seems no one wannts to supply xtra bars that clip in to the consumer unit.

only way i can see you doing it, without the 3rd N bar is to take your N directly from thr load side of the main switch. in a hi-integrity board this would just be linked directly to the N bar anyway.

Reply to Split Load cable kit To create unprotected Way on Consumer Unit. in the Talk Electrician area at ElectriciansForums.net