Spur from electrac | on ElectriciansForums

Discuss Spur from electrac in the Electrician Talk | All Countries area at ElectriciansForums.net

N

nto

Hi
Can you advise please, We are fitting a kitchen in an office canteen, we need 2 x double sockets above the worktop.
Below the worktop at skirting level is a double socket that runs off the under floor busbar/ electrac, can a spur be run from here, or could we extend the cables and reinstall the socket and then a spur off that above the breakfast bar.

Dont fear Im not qualified to do the work yet, im more curious on how the contractor plans to do it without me asking to him many questions.

Thanks in advance.

NTO.

Anything is possible with the right person doing it.

It is dependent on what kind of tap off point that existing socket is taken off. I could go into power rating of the trac, if the tap off point is a fused or un-fused type etc etc, but bottom line an electrician will be able to see the job and assess the best way you can do it.

Thanks for the swift response, Im not questioning the electricians methods, as you rightly say he is qualified and knows what he is doing.
Im asking advice on how to do it?
He is running the power from the socket, can two double sockets be spured of the one? or will the existing need extending and then one spur run from it?
The electrac is on seperate fuses per spur?

To be honest if i went to the doctors and he told me he was removing my appendix I would take his word for it he would be doing it the correct way. He is your contractor ask him as many questions as you wish, he can choose to answer or not, and if he doesn't you can choose another contractor.

You can get floor boxes with all kinds of configurations and boxes that are mini consumer units with the capability of fitting 2 or 3 MCB/RCBO to power separate appliances/sockets. Surely he as submitted a design for you?

But if you were training to be a doctor you might be a bit more curious and keen to learn.
The existing socket does not run from a floor box its direct from the busbar which is fused.
If he had submitted a design my curiosity would have been satisfied.
I could ask him, but I thought I would use this forum as Im an avid reader.

But is the tap off fused??

There must be a cable that is tapped off the track which feeds that socket direct, depending on the length of this tap off cable, and the power type of the track, will denote whether that tap off is a fused or un-fused type.

Knowing this information will denote how the contractor is going to design the 2 new sockets.

Yes the tap off is fused/ each is fused independently, from memory its fitted in the tap off socket rather than in the busbar itself.
The tap off cable itself is 3m and it would need to be extended to reach above a standard height kitchen worksurface.
Thanks by the way for your patience, it must be a pain explaining this to novice:6:

So leave the double socket where it is and run one socket up from there and then another from the new one, (as in a radial lighting circuit)

Reply to Spur from electrac in the Electrician Talk | All Countries area at ElectriciansForums.net