storage heater problem | on ElectriciansForums

Discuss storage heater problem in the Australia area at ElectriciansForums.net

-
Reaction score
this does seem to be a constant topic but here goes.customer asks for economy 7 supply, exisiting three storage heater system already in place with its own fuse board. It had been fed from normal tariff supply. Supplier comes around fits duel rate meter and leaves, muttering about having to get a timer to the custommer? she is baffled and asks me.all three storage heaters and the emmersion are on a separate board, but fed from the same single set of tails from the meter, as the main domestic board and via a Henley block. the meter is three floors down so to put in an extra set of tails from there is not an option..So to put a timer on the whole board after the hendley block would mean that the emmersion would only work at night since there is no day time supply currently fitted. What is the best way of timing the storage heaters, or do i put a timer on the tails from the where they split at the block to the heater consumer unit and run a separate day time supply to the emmersion heater clock from the other board, to have a boost facility

Last edited:
Use a timer to operate a contactor to switch the supply tails feeding the storage heater fuse board. Make sure that you use a timer that will automatically adjust for British summer time.
Move the immersion heater supply over to the main board. Put an ecconomy 7 with boost controller at the immersion tank. Job done.

I think you will find that if the meter man has fitted a small electronic dual rate meter, the whole house will go onto economy seven at the designated time.
As the other poster has said the only timers you need are for the night storage heaters so they only come on during the night rate.

I wouldn't bother fitting a timer to the tails at all ?
You won't be able to over ride it to individually switch the immersion on in the day if needed ?
I would go with individual timers for the storage heaters and the immersion.

Reply to storage heater problem in the Australia area at ElectriciansForums.net