Struggling with my regs book | on ElectriciansForums

Discuss Struggling with my regs book in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

E

ed-ectrician

I am going spare. Cannot find anything in the regs book to do with outdoor power installations (and, for e.g how deep to run SWA under the ground) or ovens. I have been looking for about 20 mins and I feel like a total plum. Can anyone help me on where to find either?!

- - - Updated - - -

NOT outdoor ovens by the way lol! The two things are unrelated!

So, regarding the SWA buried underground they just leave it up to your judgement?! As long as it is marked with that yellow plastic tape stuff it's ok to do it in a trench about 200mm deep?

Any joy with the oven question?

Well TBH I would dig or returf to that - 8in isn't much in soil or turf IMO. BUT its a typical reg that allows you to decide. I'm afraid the regs don't give specific depth for domestic.

where's the reg that says 600mm deep? Sorry to be a pain! Is it just one of those common sense things?!

Re: ovens - I think what I mean is where is the part which says that, for example, an oven needs an isolator and also an extractor fan needs one too and where it should go. I know the answers to these but want to be able to find it in my regs book.

Ta

537.2.1 actually - I think I found it. Being REALLY thick sorry - of course every circuit needs an iosolator. In a light it is the switch and in a socket it is the switch etc etc. So obviously a fixed piece of equipment needs a switch.

Table 53.2 tells you what kind of isolator you need for various things. DUH!

The is one of the AWFUL aspects of BS7671. As you say common sense applies and 600mm is a start, especially if under grass or a flower bed. If you're going under a new path/patio the need to go so deep isn't as important IMHO.

The only thing I'd add is make sure that you have double pole isolation before the outdoor cable if it's on a "shared" RCD so you can quickly isolate the outdoors if tripping occurs.

Good digging

It really is a situation where you can only decide on site. i.e. what does the depth need to protect the cable from? Digging (garden soil) for example is usually a spade and a half depth or 600 - 750mm.

As others have said regs on depths are not usually found on domestic,I would use common sense on this one,obviously it needs to be buried deeper if the ground is likely to be dug up than it does if say a concrete slab will be laid,regarding marker tape I always like it at least 150mm above the cable,some people just lay it on top of the cable but thats pointless in my opinion as by the time you come to the tape you may have hit the cable.At least a spade and a half depth in an area where it may be dug up though,better safe than sorry.

537.2.1 actually - I think I found it. Being REALLY thick sorry - of course every circuit needs an iosolator. In a light it is the switch and in a socket it is the switch etc etc. So obviously a fixed piece of equipment needs a switch. !

Your talking about functional switching, a light swith and a switch on the socket plate are not isolators.

There are no statutory depths for underground cables, as ground levels may have changed since the original installation and without the knowledge of the cable owner. However, there is guidance available from HSE. Guidance is also available from the street works industry's representative body (NJUG) and the Energy Networks Association (ENA) . The ENA also provide contact information for anyone planning excavation work, see: Dial before you dig .

Click HERE

Last edited by a moderator:
537.2.1 actually - I think I found it. Being REALLY thick sorry - of course every circuit needs an iosolator. In a light it is the switch and in a socket it is the switch etc etc. So obviously a fixed piece of equipment needs a switch.

Table 53.2 tells you what kind of isolator you need for various things. DUH!

This could be by means of the MCB in the consume unit! not a local isolator

Most of the items you are talking about are detailed in the Electricians Guide to the building regulations, for instance section 5.7 covers the depth of buried cables and marking tape.
Admittedly where they get this information from is a fog of unknowledge:confused:. Certainly a lot of it is not referenced in BS7671.
However it is guidance to adhere to when someone is asking uncomfortable questions!

Reply to Struggling with my regs book in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net