Substitute for an encoder on a test rig | on ElectriciansForums

Discuss Substitute for an encoder on a test rig in the Electrician Talk | All Countries area at ElectriciansForums.net

T

TF and the wire

We have a couple of automatic transfer cars at work that have a SICK PLS scanner on each end, which are connected to a LSI unit that contains the configuration and field details. When it goes wrong, it's a pain usually ending up with it by-passed until I can get to it at weekend.

I want to build a test rig where I can try each component on the bench in my own time. Apart from the two PLS's, the LSI has a number of inputs that I can connect via toggle switches, the outputs can be connected to lights to show their status. But there are also two encoder inputs, each with two channels 90 degrees apart. These are used to provide a speed signal so that the field changes depending how fast the car is travelling.

Anyone know of a good substitute for these encoders. Perhaps a 555 type circuit. How do I get another signal exactly 90 degrees apart? Is there anything on the shelf available?

All I can offer is a google finding: pulse generator dual out 90 - Google Search

No knowledge to help further.

Does the business have a spare encoder for these cars?
A long winded option of using spare encoder linked to a motor driven by a VFD with pot. if turning by hand won't suffice. {Expensive but no doubt to hand on site}.
A cheapy speed controlled dc motor... take apart an old scalextric!

Last edited by a moderator:
the outputs are 24v in the high state and each encoder has two, and B. htey are 90 degrees apart.

As you say, an alternative is to use our spare encoders, driven off a spare motor and invertor. We have plenty of these.

Reply to Substitute for an encoder on a test rig in the Electrician Talk | All Countries area at ElectriciansForums.net