suitable wiring systems | on ElectriciansForums

Discuss suitable wiring systems in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
hi peeps,

can you help me out with selecting suitable wiring systems on an army barracks with roughly 8 buildings to it for:

sutiable wiring systems for

a. communication and data transmission
b. cctv
c. fire alarm

thanks in advance guys!

:phone:

Because they are the right cable for the application, why do you think they would not be?

............................plus after 40 yrs of doing this I just know!!

hi,

i wasnt questioning your judgement! If anything i respect it. I was just trying to understand the reasons. didnt mean to offend

thanks for you help

Hell no ! - There is a section in 17th on electromagentic effects and erection methods for Band 1 and band 2, you need to follow these.
In simple terms your CCTV, fire and data comms needs to have physical separation, in terms of the cabling and containment. Also i think you will find that the fire cables should be routed away from other band 2 so to avoid fire transfer from band 2 cables to fire alarm.
These is much more to it than that and not something to work out here, you need to sit down with the book and design it out. There are good reasons for these regs, not least the risk of 230/400v ending up of your expensive IT equipment but also certain lighting is notorius in generating harmonics which through electromagnetism ruin the data throughput of Cat5 and cat 6 cables that are trying to send signals in the 100s of Mhz.

Hell no ! - There is a section in 17th on electromagentic effects and erection methods for Band 1 and band 2, you need to follow these.
In simple terms your CCTV, fire and data comms needs to have physical separation, in terms of the cabling and containment. Also i think you will find that the fire cables should be routed away from other band 2 so to avoid fire transfer from band 2 cables to fire alarm.
These is much more to it than that and not something to work out here, you need to sit down with the book and design it out. There are good reasons for these regs, not least the risk of 230/400v ending up of your expensive IT equipment but also certain lighting is notorius in generating harmonics which through electromagnetism ruin the data throughput of Cat5 and cat 6 cables that are trying to send signals in the 100s of Mhz.

all 3 need to be seperate or just the data from the others?

so the installation is using metallic trucking then with pvc conduit to the deserived location, so we would have them in seperate trucking running parrell?

Look at voltage definitions for band 1 and 2, separate containment yes, in parallel, preferably not and defintely not for fire. Regs are not definitive really for distances and the like so in reality you do get some trunking systems that are "compliant" as they have three compartments. So you could have it running parallel, i dont put data/cctv stuff in metallic trunking, i use plastic, its gentler on the cable which is quite delicate.

Last edited:

Reply to suitable wiring systems in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net