Supply to cooker hood and kitchen island unit | on ElectriciansForums

Discuss Supply to cooker hood and kitchen island unit in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net

R

reggie10

hi -i have hired an electrician to carry out some work to provide various outlets etc in a new kitchen. i have a couple of queries in regard to what he is doing which i wanted to run past other electricians for the benefit of second opinion.

A switched fuse connection unit is being put in just above the work top to control the cooker hood. He has two 2.5mm wires going to that from the ring main and then another 2.5mm cable from there to a point which will be hidden behind the cooker hood. Apparently i can then either plug the hood into a socket up there or hard wire it. Should 2.5mm cable be used for this as i have seen on other forums that 1.5mm cable should be used from the switch to the hood?

Also i am having an island unit installed with a pop-up socket fitted into the worktop. A friend reckons that a switched fused connection unit with a thirteen amp fuse should be connected to the ring main and then a cable from there under the floor to the island unit. Apparently this is because the pop-up has three socket outlets and so the island could be isolated if needs be. The electrician has told me that he will not need to do that as he can take a spur from a socket on the ring and the pop-up has its own fuse - so no need for a switched/fused connector.

Any advice appreciated - i want to be sure what is being done is ok.

Welcome to the Forum.

1. He as over spec the cable but if anything it is erring on the side of safety so no problems there

2. Again your electrician is quite correct as the appliance is fused then there can be no overload danger to the spur cable and also he is avoiding non discrimination of the 2 fuses.
I personally would have done as your friend said, but instead of using a spur I would have used perhaps a double pole switch so being able to isolate the island pop up socket unit for maintenance and repair.

Reply to Supply to cooker hood and kitchen island unit in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net