Supply to garage | on ElectriciansForums

Discuss Supply to garage in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

D

Damian Petsas

Predominantly Commercial spark but started doing domestic for my sins.Can anyone clarify for me.
I have a client that had a garage supply wired in Micc. It was spured from the upstairs ring under the floor in a through box/ (not via a fused spur). To cut a long story short pitchforks and micc dont mix.
I have been asked to run a new feed in which I am doing via saw cleated. I am specifying that i have to install a 13A switched fuse spur mounted on the wall in the bedroom(surface or flush whichever). He is not happy about this and is asking if i can just install as the micc was?????

Ive put my foot down and quoted regs. Am i right or can i install without fused spur at point of supply. There wil be a fused spur in the Garage to feed the socket.
LOL AS IM WRITING THIS IM THINKING WHATS THE POINT IN EVEN ASKING AS I KNOW THE ANSWER BUT ITS WORTH THE COMICAL RESPONSES LOL.

ALL YOUR COMMENTS ARE WELCOME GUYS

which regs exactly did you quote ?
and if the regs support your assessment , why ask us now for confirmation ?
and this putting foot down incident , was it left or right ?
;-)

a real saturday nite drama in the making here !

Lmao. thanks chaps, I stated that the garage supply needed means of isolation. Is that ok if its from the sockets mcb and yes im fully rcd protected to the hilt lol. Oh and i always go for right foot first. final thoughts or is the jury out

Id be wiring a new sub-main supply in swa to avoid upfront rcd protection and having the circuits rcd protected as necessary in the garage... as the customer has had his hand forced into replacing the garage supply it will now have to be done to comply to 17th ...

The BS7671 are the same for all domestic/commercial and industrial installations i assume the situation isn't in your comfort zone due to lack of domestic installs...

What is the set-up at present are the existing circuits to 17th or are we looking at no rcd protection?

Also to note is the design of a circuit should avoid set-ups where a problem in the garage would stop the upstairs sockets from been energised although this regulation is more suited to commercial and industrial where loss of multiple areas can be costly and disruptive it still a point to discuss with the customer... it why i don't like Split boards they kinda contradict the 17th for nuisance caused by multiple circuit loss.

The house has a rcd split board and the client has just fully replastered and redecorated to high spec. The C/U is 3/4 of the way round the house and not easy to get to with an armoured. I have chosen the easiest route possible(same as where the MICC was installed. The garage is only having one double socket and 1 light fitting. The reason i wanted to install a fused spur at the supply off the ring is to prevent knocking the sockets to the house should a problem occur. Appreciate your advice on this Darkwood.

Check regulation 314.1 and 314.2 if your client is adamant for the set-up as it was and you can ensure suitable mechanical protection where needed then note it down as a deviation from the 17th with customers acknowledgement with regard to reg 314.... as this has no bearing on safety and rcd protection is already afforded so can be done, then have a chat with your customer but explain what regulations state and what may be the consequences of a intermittent fault say in the garage wiring or supply... id be inclined to persuade him for a DP - SW/F isolation in the house to isolate any faults if needed and ask about the general use of the power in the garage... not a washer and a dryer running off it etc

Last edited:

Reply to Supply to garage in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net