Supply to Gas Heater | on ElectriciansForums

Discuss Supply to Gas Heater in the Electrician Talk | All Countries area at ElectriciansForums.net

S

Signum

Hi all

First time posting so hello!
We have been asked to supply and install a Wall mounted gas heater/blower for a warehouse, (well 2 in fact, warehouse and workshop)

We have it all in hand, got heater's arranged, gas safe sub contractor to connect and commission gas, but on our side im struggling to find what is required from a regulation point of view for gas heaters.

It will be a single phase 10 amp supply run in SWA, pus a 10mm bond to gas that is being fitted. Now i would assume from lateral thinking that i bring a supply from the DB to each heater, then provide a rotary isolator next to each unit as a 'maintenance switch', and then a emergency stop button at low level. (the units have little control pads for operation)

Would this suffice, where can i find out more, or maybe one or more of you could help me.

Thanks in advance

Mark

Hi.

That sounds absolutely fine to me.....only thing I would ask is.....is the gas supply to the building new??? and is there a fire alarm system present??

If so then the main gas solenoid valve may need interfacing with the fire alarm system so the gas supply is shut off as soon as the fire alarm operates.

Never seen an emergency stop button installed on one of these, many put a switch spur to feed these but if you are putting each one on its own supply then a rotary isolator would be good for the locking off but not totally necessary if the switch spur is adjacent to the heater

Hi Lenny

Thanks for response, yes gas supply is new. Gas company putting meter in and then gas safe sub-contractor fitting and commissioning.

What would be the norm for such info, is done on size of building etc, i mean effectively its and old Victorian house that has been converted to store spare parts for a bike company.

Would this area not be for the gas safe engineer to advice suggest on. Hadn't noticed install or type of fire alarm, if present i assume we would require the fire alarm installers to connect to fire alarm as i know there is no BMS or boiler panel etc.

Cheers

Okay sparks1234, tht may answer my question, we weren't sure on requirements of immediate isolation in the event of fire etc, with the unit being high and the supply isolator being next to it, you would have no means of isolation unless ya run to the board.
But if you say its not required then maybe we won't put these in, just using it as a precautionary measure i guess.

Cheers

Last edited by a moderator:
As long as you can reach the isolator without risking an injury/burns to yourself in an emergency then no, EM stops wont be needed.

As long as you can reach the isolator without risking an injury/burns to yourself in an emergency then no, EM stops wont be needed.

I will check on access, if its too high then we may use them, cant hurt for a simple drop down and back up again.

Cheers all

If the Gas heater is located at high level you should consider putting a reset button at low level with an indicator lamp to indicate the unit is at lockout/fault. Otherwise every time the unit goes to lockout they will have to get up to the unit to reset it

If the Gas heater is located at high level you should consider putting a reset button at low level with an indicator lamp to indicate the unit is at lockout/fault. Otherwise every time the unit goes to lockout they will have to get up to the unit to reset it

My thoughts excatly! unless your control pad has a lockout/reset it might be worth while. Also if the gas catches fire an emergancy stop isn't going to do much good unless it's wired to knock off the solinoid.

If you install a rotary maintenence switch or a fuse spur up high beside heater that will be fine if you have an on and off button on the control pad which i presume it does. That button on the control pad will be just as affective as an emergency stop button, thats not connected to your solinoid, would be in event of gas catchin fire. If that makes sense!

Reply to Supply to Gas Heater in the Electrician Talk | All Countries area at ElectriciansForums.net