Supply to Outbuilding | on ElectriciansForums

Discuss Supply to Outbuilding in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net

R

reggie10

whilst i have some ceilings down i want to run a cable approx 12 metres from CU through the house and then a further 12 metres outside to an outbuilding/garage. i want to use normal domestic power tools, lighting and possibly a freezer and treadmill in the outbuilding.

Can someone please recommend a cable size to use - presumeably i will need to allow for a connection to armoured cable once outside.

I would say that for a 25 metre approx run you will need a 6mm cable ..........there that is simple

What is not so simple is mate

1. What type of protection device are you going to use
2 RCD what are you doing about this
3 What kind of earthing system is in your home
4 You do know in England and Wales this comes under Part P
5 Have you got calibrated test instruments to carry out the test required to complete all the paperwork
6. Is the out building of a metal construction
7 Are there going to be any metallic service ie water in there
8. As you are having a tread mill in there can we assume you may also need heating
9. Then perhaps the loading may increase if you do

And 10 ......perhaps that 6 mm might not be enough mate. All i'm trying to point out is that it is impossible to advise on the size of cable without really designing a system that will supply it.

Hi - Tried to reply earlier but not sure if it worked.

To clarify - i have an existing consumer unit under the stairs which is fitted with mcbs although there is no more room i am assuming that an electrician would be able to install additional capacity for me. i propose running a cable from under the stairs through the house to the utility room at the far end whilst ceilings are down in the relevant rooms. i am in a hurry to get these put back up as i have a kitchen due to be delivered hence why i am asking my question on here rather than wait for an electrician to come over.

i am only proposing to run the cable through the house and leave the cables hanging for future connection and not undertake any other work in respect of this - i am aware of part p etc as i am in the middle of renovations and extension.

the outbuilding is a blockwork garage with steel door - there will be no heating. i assume armoured cable would connect at the utility room and then continue underground to the garage where a CU would then service a lighting and socket outlet circuit. i also assume an earth rod would be serve the garage.

Sorry to be vague on this - you see i am not an electrician - i had hoped this type of thing was fairly standard and not as involved as it now seems. Any further help or guidance would be greatly appreciated.

If you have a deadline to run the cable before your kitchen is fitted, then I'd say you should run 6mm (or 10mm) T & E from the board (leaving a long "tail") through the house to where you think you'll come out (again leaving a long tail).

If you're in the middle of a renovation/extension then surely you have a sparky involved??

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks Murdoch - yep had an electrician in a month or so ago doing the new kitchen area. i forgot that i also needed a supply for the (new) garage until today when ordering materials etc to put the ceilings up (panic!). i have a friend over at the weekend to skim them out etc. would have called the electrician i used before but (1) i wasn't overly impressed with his work/time keeping (2) he wasn't the most approachable of guys!

Thanks Murdoch - yep had an electrician in a month or so ago doing the new kitchen area. i forgot that i also needed a supply for the (new) garage until today when ordering materials etc to put the ceilings up (panic!). i have a friend over at the weekend to skim them out etc. would have called the electrician i used before but (1) i wasn't overly impressed with his work/time keeping (2) he wasn't the most approachable of guys!

Why don't you post your location and see if any of the members here want to do the job?

happy to - i'm in Camborne, Cornwall. Won't be ready for the armoured cable to be dug in yet though as i have a few tonnes of rubbish to be removed first (do electricians dig?!), and money needs to go on finishing kitchen first but contacts would be useful.

Reply to Supply to Outbuilding in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net