Supply to Pub Flat | on ElectriciansForums

Discuss Supply to Pub Flat in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

B

bigd

Asked to upgrade a fuse box, which supplies a domestic dwelling in a Pub.

3-phase supply, and one of the phases supplies the flat on its own meter (The other 2 phases supply the pub)

At the moment the meter tails go to an old switched disconnector and then 6mm T&E supplies the consumer unit in the pub (Oh dear!)

I want to replace all this, but as I normally only do domestic its not something I normally come across.

I need a distribution circuit to the consumer unit/fuse box in the flat and need some advice on the best way to go about it.

My thoughts are meter tails to 63A fuse switch disconnector, SWA to the flat and then the usual consumer unit. The choice of switch disconectors is quite bewildering. I was thinking of the below.

Has anyone got any advice or recommendations?

[ElectriciansForums.net] Supply to Pub Flat

Should maybe stick to domestic.

The landlord wants the old Bakerlite fuse box, with re-wirable fuses, replaced with a modern consumer unit with RCD protection. he also wants a 40amp final circuit for a shower he's installing in his new bathroom, in addition to the circuits already in the flat.

The existing fuse box is fed by 30m+ of 6mm T&E from the 'isolator' next to the meter in the cellar. The isolator is not fused and very old. The meter tails go directly into the isolator, which is best described as a large metal switch!

No forgive me if I'm missing something but this isn't safe and needs replacing with something more appropriate. As it stands the max current carrying capacity of the 6mm T&E is about 47A but, as this cable is not fused at the isolator, is subject to potential fault currents from the supply.

In addition I don't think 6mm is sufficient for the potential load

Finally I could be wrong but 6mm T&E may be getting to its limits at 30m in terms of voltage drop.

Maybe I should stick to domestic?

The landlord wants the old Bakerlite fuse box, with re-wirable fuses, replaced with a modern consumer unit with RCD protection. he also wants a 40amp final circuit for a shower he's installing in his new bathroom, in addition to the circuits already in the flat.

The existing fuse box is fed by 30m+ of 6mm T&E from the 'isolator' next to the meter in the cellar. The isolator is not fused and very old. The meter tails go directly into the isolator, which is best described as a large metal switch!

No forgive me if I'm missing something but this isn't safe and needs replacing with something more appropriate. As it stands the max current carrying capacity of the 6mm T&E is about 47A but, as this cable is not fused at the isolator, is subject to potential fault currents from the supply.

Finally I could be wrong but 6mm T&E may be getting to its limits at 30m in terms of voltage drop.

No maybe you should give the information in the opening post, you would have been given plenty of help, we are not psychics

Sorry boys. Should have been more detailed.

Effectively I have a single phase supply in the cellar and a fuse box 30m away in the flat.

Now as a domestic installer this wouldn't normally cause me a problem as the consumer unit would be next to the meter in a house and I would just route the meter tails into the consumer unit.

Maybe I am getting a bit out of my depth, but I didn't think it would too far from my abilities to install a distribution circuit from the meter to the flat which would be a lot safer than the existing 6mm T&E.

There's no 3 phase distribution board in the pub. Just a hotch potch of fuse boxes and consumer units on each of the phases of the supply. Each supplying different areas of the pub.

Last edited by a moderator:

Some of which do have cartridge fuses inside!

Sorry boys. Should have been more detailed.

Effectively I have a single phase supply in the cellar and a fuse box 30m away in the flat.

Now as a domestic installer this wouldn't normally cause me a problem as the consumer unit would be next to the meter in a house and I would just route the meter tails into the consumer unit.

Maybe I am getting a bit out of my depth, but I didn't think it would too far from my abilities to install a distribution circuit from the meter to the flat which would be a lot safer than the existing 6mm T&E.

There's no 3 phase distribution board in the pub. Just a hotch potch of fuse boxes and consumer units on each of the phases of the supply. Each supplying different areas of the pub.[/QUOTE]

Pretty much the norm for the vast majority of pubs that I've come across.

And they tend to be a general pain in the butt to work on/in.

what extraneous metalpipework is in the flat? where's it bonded to? what's the earthing system? that'll give you an idea of what you need to replace the 6mm T/E.

Reply to Supply to Pub Flat in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net