SWA cable problems | on ElectriciansForums

Discuss SWA cable problems in the Electrician Talk | All Countries area at ElectriciansForums.net

M

Marty48

What problems have you come across when stripping an SWA cable?? Do you find the process easy or hard?? any scars gained ??:(

Practice makes perfect.

But it's a lot easier if the cable hasn't been left outside in the freezing cold, as it makes the insulation a lot tougher to strip.

As mentioned above its just practice but their is a range of swa that is a pain in the butt to remove the second sheath and even after yrs of doing cables up to 240mm the ones with the pvc second sheath are a must to be avoided as it just wasting time when you got loads to do.

but their is a range of swa that is a pain in the butt to remove the second sheath.

Yeah! I'll second that. Know the gear your talking about, is a proper nightmare!

But apart from that i really enjoy glanding off SWA, been doing it all day today as it goes! As for scars, got a nice one above my knee where old Mr Stanley decided to slip. Had to duct tape my leg up was quite a wide one! Lol

Last edited by a moderator:
Yeah! I'll second that. Know the gear your talking about, is a proper nightmare!

But apart from that i really enjoy glanding off SWA, been doing it all day today as it goes! As for scars, got a nice one above my knee where old Mr Stanley decided to slip! Lol

I have a nice scar from when I was an apprentice. I used my leg as a bench whilst trying to slice 6 mm twin and earth with a stanley with a brand new blade in it. It wasn't too painfull as it happens but I put about half a reel of insulating tape round it for the rest of the day to hold it together...I have quite hairy legs.....why do women have them waxed??:eek:

Ringin an armoured in the Liver Building in Liverpool, ringed the cable ok, but was rushing at the time and ringed my bloomin finger as well, new stanley blade as well, really good job right down to bone, you know the feeling clean cut and then the blood just pours out, and they had just had a new computer rm carpet, and the toilets were on the floor above, rushed out tryin to catch blood in a pool on my overalls , got in toilet under tap, and didn,t have phone no for floor below, had to ring my mate who was in spain on hols, to phone liver building back for someone to come upto bloomin toilets upstairs, blood everywhere, anyway its healed now, but what a mess.

Are you inventing some sort of swa stripper or have you just had a terrible swa stripping accident?this is you second post about it:D
I have invented an SWA cable stripper because of a terrible accident !!
Sorry to keep banging on about it but the responses help to strengthen the argument for having one in your toolbox. We displayed at the Interbuild at the NEC recently. Everyone that saw it liked .
We may be properly launching at the Elex show in Sandown in December, but not certain yet.:)

Reply to SWA cable problems in the Electrician Talk | All Countries area at ElectriciansForums.net