Swa - | on ElectriciansForums

Discuss Swa - in the Talk Electrician area at ElectriciansForums.net

N

Noddy67

Hi again,

(my third thread in fifteen minutes - so much to learn so little time).

Just visited a clients house and her garden lighting circuit to the ELV transfomers was in SWA which was left on the surface of her bedding, very visable and not buried.

Got me thinking, as I know if you bury SWA you have to go 600mm down and cover at that level with tiles and then mark again with tape near the surface... to make sure people don't destroy it since it's hidden.

But if it's very visable is it OK to lay it down like this and leave exposed?

Any thoughts?

R

Not best, as it could become burried over time which then makes it hidden. Ideally it should be clipped in place. Probably a reg for it somewhere

Regs don't specify a depth 522.8.10 "sufficient depth to avoid damage from any foreseeable disturbance" and marked with tape.
Special location for camp site specifies 0.6m 708.521.1.1.

Agree I would clip it to a wall/fence or bury it properly

Last edited:
Thanks all - i remember another thread here with regards to whether fencing was good enough as it could be blown over, but the points about securing it are taken and there's no obvious 'no nos' in terms of specific regs.

thanks all -.

Thanks all - i remember another thread here with regards to whether fencing was good enough as it could be blown over, but the points about securing it are taken and there's no obvious 'no nos' in terms of specific regs.

thanks all -.

Yes, it comes down to mechanical stress on the terminations, although SWA is a good, strong, mechanically protected cable, the terminations are a weak spot if there is movement.

Reply to Swa - in the Talk Electrician area at ElectriciansForums.net