SY Termination | on ElectriciansForums

Discuss SY Termination in the Electrician Talk | All Countries area at ElectriciansForums.net

P

pennywise

How many jobs do you see where SY hasn't been terminated correctly with the correct gland kits and the braiding left un-earthed, seem to be seeing it alot lately.

Every one!!!!!

I always use a CXT gland myself (annoying as they are) but I have never seen an SY terminated with one anywhere alse.

Usually a nylon stuffing gland with a few of the braids in a bit of sleeving is what I come across.

i work for a company wiring irrigation,sewage and cold water booster sets. so we use a lot of SY cable and we always use the proper sy glands.( the ones with the slits in the thread). however when we go 2 replace an old panel or something similar we very often find just a stuffing gland with the sleeving too!

you can also take the braid to the met, or if on a lighting curcuit, use a four/ six way JB and terminate both ends of the sy there- no need for glands, when stripped you end up with a cable that basically has two CPCS. used heaps of the stuff- "when vermin is present or has been etc "

Every one!!!!!

I always use a CXT gland myself (annoying as they are) but I have never seen an SY terminated with one anywhere alse.

Usually a nylon stuffing gland with a few of the braids in a bit of sleeving is what I come across.

Tell me about it Ben:mad: Had a bad batch a while back (penny pinching) absolute nightmare:confused::mad:

A stuffing gland would have been luxury on this mornings job:) The SY went straight into the SFS moulded back box through a 20mm with a roll of insulation tap on the inside hole lovely:mad:

Last edited by a moderator:
While I was still working I saw a big increase in the use of SY purely for its mechanical protection properties on on machine kick switches etc and the braid ends just sleeved through a plastic gland with one or two of the cores used as cpc.

Reply to SY Termination in the Electrician Talk | All Countries area at ElectriciansForums.net