Takeaway rewire advice | on ElectriciansForums

Discuss Takeaway rewire advice in the Electrician Talk | All Countries area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
I'm pricing the job of rewiring a chinese takeaway & the flat above it. It consists of;
Downstairs-
Shop area
Main kitchen
Rear kitchen
Staff room
Covered yard area

Access to the flat hallway/stairs is through the main kitchen (internal door) or external door to the side of the building.
Upstairs there are 3 bedrooms, bathroom, landing, where the staff live. The staff are apparantly permenantly in the UK and live at the premises.

Currently there are no smoke detectors/fire alarm system at all, or emergency lighting (or a main earth, bonding or RCDs, or even fuses for some circuits).

The building is basically an end terraced house which has been split/converted into its current layout around 40 years ago (though most electrics around 60 years old)!

What grade fire detection would be required (I have seen other such recently refurbished premises without any)
Would emergency lighting be required? (open late)
Any other hints and tips?

(I have seen a similar thread from last year but it didn't really answer any questions)

Thanks for any advice.

I'm pricing the job of rewiring a chinese takeaway & the flat above it. It consists of;
Downstairs-
Shop area
Main kitchen
Rear kitchen
Staff room
Covered yard area

Access to the flat hallway/stairs is through the main kitchen (internal door) or external door to the side of the building.
Upstairs there are 3 bedrooms, bathroom, landing, where the staff live. The staff are apparantly permenantly in the UK and live at the premises.
Split the supply Main board and a sub board for the flat

Currently there are no smoke detectors/fire alarm system at all, or emergency lighting (or a main earth, bonding or RCDs, or even fuses for some circuits).All must be installed
You need at least a 2 Zone fire alarm panel / system contact local fire authority for advice, panel should located in the hall way by the front door

The building is basically an end terraced house which has been split/converted into its current layout around 40 years ago (though most electrics around 60 years old)!

What grade fire detection would be required (I have seen other such recently refurbished premises without any)
Would emergency lighting be required? (open late) Yes full emergency lighting in all rooms of the take away and in the flat

(I have seen a similar thread from last year but it didn't really answer any questions)

Thanks for any advice.

hope this helps

Downstairs-
Shop area
Main kitchen
Rear kitchen
Staff room
Covered yard area

Currently there are no smoke detectors/fire alarm system at all, or emergency lighting (or a main earth, bonding or RCDs, or even fuses for some circuits).

Would emergency lighting be required? (open late)

Thanks for any advice.

I would treat it as a normal rewire. if no PME connection or adequte TNS earth then get DNO in to fit one its £154 up my way. You need to contact customers electric supplier for this.

Obviously there are going to be cooking appliances etc so account for these in your design when speccing up for max demand especially if you are single phase. I would put E lights in the shop part as a minimum. With regard to requirement for Fire Alarm then contact local authority for their minimum requirements and also local Fire service. I Think that it is standard across the country but check anyway. I personally fit to LD1 if anything more than basic interconnected smoke alarms are required, this saves having to upgrade later if the rules change and the cost isn't that much more expensive.

Cheers...........Howard

Beaten to it by Nick

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks mate.
The flat and takeaway are metered seperately inside the shop so nice and easy.

The reason I query the emergency lights/fire alarm is the fact I have lost out before to people who have not included these when pricing jobs or even mentioned them when doing the job.

The supply to the premises is only a couple of years old but provides no means of earthing.
Why would the board have to supply one? Is there any reason I can't TT it?
There is one cut out feeding 2 meters (there will be 2 boards)

It's mostly gas, the only big current consuming appliances are 2x 5kw fryers.
Apart from that there is a microwave, electric tin opener, few fridge/freezers etc.
No electric shower or cooking facilities upstairs etc.

All in all even if the recent cut-out which is present contained only a 60A fuse it would be adequate.

if there's any off-peak electric heating it might overlap with the takeaway load

-might not be a issue here(i assume it's gas fired?)

shared access to the fire panel at front door

keep nuisance to minimum on the fire protection

60amp is small enough

Last edited by a moderator:

Reply to Takeaway rewire advice in the Electrician Talk | All Countries area at ElectriciansForums.net