Taking additional PV over 10kw? | on ElectriciansForums
Guest viewing is limited

Discuss Taking additional PV over 10kw? in the Solar PV Forum | Solar Panels Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
Just checking I have this correct that an existing 9.5kw adding more PV will end up with a new tariff based on existing 10-50kw rate? IE. Not an option financially.

Can someone point me to the exact documentation on this? I thought the whole system was re-registered at the prevailing tariff rate, especially if it was in the same band. Other wise you could fudge the system. e.g. You wish to install a 5.5kW system. You register 4kW and receive the tariff for that. A period of time later, you register the additional 1.5kW which is implied receives the lower payment whilst the 4kW still attracts the higher one. I did not think the original 4kw still attracted the higher tariff, but the whole system now attracted the lower rate. Would a pro-rata arrangement not have to apply on all systems over 4kW.

Or is there something I don't understand or have never understood?

The Feed-in Tariffs Order 2012

Accreditation of extensions to accredited FIT installations

18. (1) Paragraph (2) applies where the Authority receives notice that an accredited FIT installation has been extended.

(2) Where this paragraph applies, the Authority must—

(a)treat the extension as a separate eligible installation;

(b)decide whether or not to accredit the extension in accordance with Part 3; and

(c)where it decides to accredit the extension, assign the extension a separate tariff code based on the aggregate total installed capacity of both the extension and the existing accredited FIT installation.

I queried this with Ofgem back in 2011 or 12, I'll have a dig and see what I can find, but it's always been the case that extra PV doesn't impact on the existing systems tariff.

As for what's reasonable... hard to say, but if it's done before the first system has been fully registered than I'd think that might not be acceptable. We've got one system that's been upgraded 3 times now, and going for a 4th to max out at 150kWp.

TSK, Ted's link explains it all. Just read the section on changes to installations on page 59. The recollection you have of the whole installation changing tariff only applied to early installations (2010/11 in rough terms) where an extension was added within one year of commissioning.

There is unlikely to be a 'reasonable period' test applied - they will simply apply the current guidance. I would hope though that if an extension was registered within days rather than months that it might trigger an audit looking for fraud!

Reply to Taking additional PV over 10kw? in the Solar PV Forum | Solar Panels Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net