Testing uploading an image | on ElectriciansForums
Guest viewing is limited

Discuss Testing uploading an image in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Dan

Staff member
Admin
Mod
V.Nearly Esteemed
Solutions
Reaction score
Size limit issue test.
[ElectriciansForums.net] Testing uploading an image

Tadaaaaa

Okay that's that one done.

We have an email issue with amazon "simple email service" (their name for it, it isn't simple at all lol) again so I apologise if thread reply emails aren't reaching you right now they should be later. In the meantime perhaps install our forum app on your device or computer and enable notifications and you will get told when replies come in.

I’ve mentioned to anyone having trouble uploading images that this is what I do….

If the photo is too large, taken on my iPhone….i view the photo in the photo app and take a screenshot.
This gives me a new image containing everything on the screen at that time…. Click, signal strength, battery etc
Edit this new image and crop off everything top and bottom to reduce down to be a copy of the original, only a smaller version.

This works with iPhone 11, but other phones might have larger default photo file sizes.

Thanks matey.

Yeah phones these days do create camera pictures that are huge in pixels and file size but I have edited the max upload size to something much bigger than before which should prevent messing about.

We use Amazon web services for file storage which is good but when phones are saving images with dimensions big enough for zooming in and viewing detail, they're always too big really for the viewing screen size of the viewer.

So we end up storing massive images when smaller ones would have been fine in 99.99% of cases. So that's why I do limit file sizes and dimensions.

It's a bit of a battle between hosting costs versus pleasing and easy browsing.

The screen shot trick is very good though mate. Even if you don't cut the top and bottom bits off the file should still be much much smaller than an original phone camera pic file.

I know most people do everything on a phone nowadays but I use a PC for stuff like this. to get the pictures to fit I open them with the build in Microsoft paint app, click on resize and set it to 50%, then save it.

Reply to Testing uploading an image in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net