Thatched House re-wire | on ElectriciansForums

Discuss Thatched House re-wire in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
Trying to put together a ball park price to re-wire a thatched property! Very old and listed with some walls just planks!

I know its difficult to estimate without seeing it and the electrical design has not been finalised but where would be your 1st stab be, based on standard amount of sockets/points?

Thatched loft - confined space
No voids under floor boards.
Lights mainly from 2A sockets (except bathrooms)
4 bedrooms (1 en-suite)
Large kitchen with island and electric aga
2 bathrooms
Lounge/diner/hall/utility
Air Sourced Heat Pump central heating system

Does £13K sound expensive? For the extra hassle!

Number of sockets?
What's going in in the kitchen?
Shower(s)?
UFH?
Etc
Etc
Nowhere near enough info to judge your 13k mate.

i appreciate its a bit vague. Lets add the following totals:
44 x 2g sockets
24 x 2A sockets
10 x SFS
6 x smoke/heat detectors
12 outside lights
TV points in 7 rooms
Security alarm
12 LED downlights
4 ceiling lights
1 room stat - radiators only
Bathrooms have light/shaver point/fan/towel rail

Get the owners to get a quote, with conditions from some other insurers.
NFU may be the only company to not spec cables.

They'll possibly be stuck with NFU if all other insurers want M.I or conduit.
If NFU change their policy the house may have to be rewired again.

I've done a few thatched places and no insurers I've spoken too have been interested so I took guidance from 'The Dorset model' which was something along the lines of external lights must be 1m> from the thatch, cables must be run so they won't be penetrated by thatchers metal spikes, interlinked heat alarm in roof space, if you must have a light in the loft (it's not advised) then it must be enclosed and of course cable should be rodent proof (pref MI (good luck) but SWA, galv and even Heavy duty PVC is arguably acceptable)

Failing the advice of insurers, scam providers or random internet folk you could always ask the local fire brigade for advice

Some SWA cables do come with a flora and fauna resistant sheath, i know because all our SWA cables are spec'd as such....

Our resident mice seem to have something of a liking for dish washer salt and rubber gloves ... go figure! ;-) We haven't yet found damaged cable though haven't started on the electrics.

Our resident mice seem to have something of a liking for dish washer salt and rubber gloves ... go figure! ;-) We haven't yet found damaged cable though haven't started on the electrics.

Think it's something to do with additives in the sheaths PVC compound, that rodents etc, don't like. Certainly doesn't look or feel any different to normal sheathing...

Reply to Thatched House re-wire in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net