The Kindness of some people | on ElectriciansForums

Discuss The Kindness of some people in the Talk Electrician area at ElectriciansForums.net

M

millwall ken

Hi all,
I paid a visit to an old boy, whom I've known for a few years today - I regularly pop in and check up on him, as he's a diamond fella. A right old Cockney South London bloke. Unfortunately he ain't got too much time left as he is riddled with cancer and emthysema. His family only visit him on the odd occasion; odd being the operative word. Unfortunately, his wife is always in and out of hospital as well. Anyway, he was rushed into hospital over Christmas, but he had decided that he wanted to come home on New Years Eve. However none of his family would go and pick him up from the hospital. So I volunteered me and the missus to do it. Anyway to cut a long story short, he phoned me today and asked me if I would quickly pop round. When I got there, He asked me my thoughts on an oil painting that was hanging on his wall. And it really is a beautiful picture of a victorian street scene in what looks like a walnut frame. He then told me that he was giving it to me as a gift!!! He then informed me that he had bought it thirty years ago for £1000. Now, I don't know much about art to be honest, but I figured that if he paid that sort of coin thirty years ago, then it must be worth a few quid!!! Anyway I told him that there is no way that I would take the painting as it was too valuable and most be passed onto his family. He then insisted that he had to give us something for the inconvenience he caused on New Years Eve. I told him that he owed me nothing, and that what we had done for him was because he is a friend. However he insisted on giving me something, so I accepted a fiver for a pint.

see your NOT realy a shaven headed chib scarred YOBBO your a BIG SOFTY mu old granny allways said "its nice to be nice for niceness costs nuffing!"

Top marks for that Ken. Its hard to find the kindness you have showed this man nowadays. Shocking how your own family can let you down, quite sad really.

Good lad!

Another sad way of looking at it is this fella wanted to gift you something to say thankyou for all your help - when he clocks out for the last time, you can bet your left nut his good for nothing family would want to know who received the painting :(

Good lad!

Another sad way of looking at it is this fella wanted to gift you something to say thankyou for all your help - when he clocks out for the last time, you can bet your left nut his good for nothing family would want to know who received the painting :(

Cheers fellas, thanks a lot. His two lads are good blokes and both are bloody good grafters; but I just feel that they could at least poke their heads in a bit more than once or twice a month. I know it ain't sod all to do with me, but there is an old saying that goes 'you can judge a nation by the way it treats its senior citizens.'
I didn't expect these sort of replies, and I certainly didn't post this to get a pat on the back. I was just so shocked that he though that me doing him such a simple favour should warrant such a gift.

Your right millwall, little bit of kindness and respect for our elders goes along way, we stay in a flat and usually put the older ones bins out and clear the paths when it was snowing along with doin a little shopping for them, nothin much just some milk and bread etc again never look for anything other than a thank you but was nice of them when I got some biscuits and a bottle of wine at Xmas from them, just a token gesture but it goes a long way.

Hi all,
I paid a visit to an old boy, whom I've known for a few years today - I regularly pop in and check up on him, as he's a diamond fella. A right old Cockney South London bloke. Unfortunately he ain't got too much time left as he is riddled with cancer and emthysema. His family only visit him on the odd occasion; odd being the operative word. Unfortunately, his wife is always in and out of hospital as well. Anyway, he was rushed into hospital over Christmas, but he had decided that he wanted to come home on New Years Eve. However none of his family would go and pick him up from the hospital. So I volunteered me and the missus to do it. Anyway to cut a long story short, he phoned me today and asked me if I would quickly pop round. When I got there, He asked me my thoughts on an oil painting that was hanging on his wall. And it really is a beautiful picture of a victorian street scene in what looks like a walnut frame. He then told me that he was giving it to me as a gift!!! He then informed me that he had bought it thirty years ago for £1000. Now, I don't know much about art to be honest, but I figured that if he paid that sort of coin thirty years ago, then it must be worth a few quid!!! Anyway I told him that there is no way that I would take the painting as it was too valuable and most be passed onto his family. He then insisted that he had to give us something for the inconvenience he caused on New Years Eve. I told him that he owed me nothing, and that what we had done for him was because he is a friend. However he insisted on giving me something, so I accepted a fiver for a pint.

I KNEW you had a big soppy melty heart you old fluffer!

Well, mate, I'll say this much - you have done a hell of a lot in this one post to restore what little faith I have left in humanity.

I think you're a total star mate, and I'd be glad to buy you a pint in any boozer, any time.

I KNEW you had a big soppy melty heart you old fluffer!

Well, mate, I'll say this much - you have done a hell of a lot in this one post to restore what little faith I have left in humanity.

I think you're a total star mate, and I'd be glad to buy you a pint in any boozer, any time.
Bill, you old softy... I'll buy the pork scratchings.

Well done millwall ken! You're an inspiration!!

If only there was a lot more kindness in the world like yours, it would be a much better place.

I hate seeing or hearing of the old-timers being ripped off or taken advantage of mate. They've probably seen and done a lot more things in their lifetime than many of us will ever experience! And still they want to give that bit more, and don't think that the world owes them something like some of the younger generation seem to!!

Nice one!

Sorry, got side-tracked by Bill’s post.
Well done squire,
A tree is known by its fruit; a man by his deeds. A good deed is never lost; he who sows courtesy reaps friendship, and he who plants kindness gathers love.

Good to hear that the spirit of kindness that we could all follow,has been shown by Ken,excellent attitude mate
[ElectriciansForums.net] The Kindness of some people

I expect when this thread ends, he will get back to chomping on the soft meat on this here forum, with the ferocity he is famous for :)

Heartwarming words indeed

Good to hear that the spirit of kindness that we could all follow,has been shown by Ken,excellent attitude mate
[ElectriciansForums.net] The Kindness of some people

I expect when this thread ends, he will get back to chomping on the soft meat on this here forum, with the ferocity he is famous for :)

Heartwarming words indeed
I don't mean to come across rude mate, I just say it how I see it. The art of diplomacy was never my strong point.

Following Kens example, todays challenge, if any of you are willing to accept, is to commit a random act of kindness. Go on, you know you want to even if only to see the surprise on peoples faces.

Reply to The Kindness of some people in the Talk Electrician area at ElectriciansForums.net