Currently reading:
UK Thermal constraints on a ring Electrical design question

Discuss Thermal constraints on a ring Electrical design question in the Electrician Courses : Electrical Quals area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
Hi all,

I am working on my revision for the 2396 exam and wanted to see if someone brainier than me could advise, when completing the thermal constraints equation t=(k²*s²)/I² on a ring circuit do you input the ring for s² as (2*2.5)².

Example1 :
Fault current 211A

t= (115² * 2.5²)/ 211²

Example 2 :
Fault current 211A

t= (115² * {2*2.}²)/ 211²

This doesn't seem to be picked up in any of the books, I'd be grateful for any help or any tips on passing the 2396 this will be my 2nd attempt at the exam.

Hi all,

I am working on my revision for the 2396 exam and wanted to see if someone brainier than me could advise, when completing the thermal constraints equation t=(k²*s²)/I² on a ring circuit do you input the ring for s² as (2*2.5)².

Example1 :
Fault current 211A

t= (115² * 2.5²)/ 211²

Example 2 :
Fault current 211A

This doesn't seem to be picked up in any of the books, I'd be grateful for any help or any tips on passing the 2396 this will be my 2nd attempt at the exam.
Long time since at college but the calculation is for the limitation of conductor or cable temperature under fault conditions not cables.

Hi all,

Example1 :
Fault current 211A

t= (115² * 2.5²)/ 211²

Example 2 :
Fault current 211A

Right, here goes.

I'm no expert but I reckon its (2.5^2), explanation as below. Would be great to see this answered by others so bumping it up!

For an earth fault current of 211A and you want to see if the 2.5mm cpc is adequate:
the worst case scenario is the current could all go down one leg eg. if there was an undetected break in the ring. So, assuming the OCPD is a 32 Type B, that's confirming your value of t is longer than it takes the ocpd to operate. t= (115² * 2.5²)/ 211², t here meaning the time taken for sustained fault current to take cable to dangerous temperature =1.86s. Longer than 0.1s so ok!

I find it easier to see it as prospective fault energy < energy the cable can healthily withstand: (i^2)t < (s^2)(k^2). And 4452.1 < 82656 so that's ok.

Interestingly a former tutor said that studies had been done on how the current gets distributed in a healthy ring and apparently it's something like a maximum of two thirds of the total current going down one leg, very close that 20A we get told to use on rings instead of In when calculating current carrying capacity.

Oh dear, perhaps you'd better ignore my post as I've confused myself now, imagining a short circuit fault current of 211A dividing into a 1:2 ratio as 70A :141A and ending up heating the cable for 20s (much longer than 1.86s) before the OCPD trips.

I haven't answered your question, just made it worse. Sorry.

Last edited:
This thread hasn't been replied to for 14 days, so replying to this one may not get a response. Post a new thread instead.

Reply to Thermal constraints on a ring Electrical design question in the Electrician Courses : Electrical Quals area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Courses

This is the main Electrical Courses at ElectriciansForums.net. Find local recommended electricians courses. Avoid training "company" scams. Always go view the training centre before booking any electrical courses.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by untold.media Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock