Thingamy Bob.... | on ElectriciansForums

Discuss Thingamy Bob.... in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

ebow72

-
Reaction score
I was wondering if anyone can help me out here, I am after a the following but don't know what it's called...
I am attaching a mod chip to a IAT sensor on my car....I am not keen on cutting the wires to the IAT sensor so would rather try and connect them without little damage to the insulation.
I am sure I have seen a terminal box before that uses the same principle as a phone socket, I need to connect the 2 wires of the mod chip to the already existing wires of the IAT.
Terminal box had a lid on and when wires placed over a bar made a connection,when lid was closed....
I have searched the internet for this and can't find a thing, if anyone know's what I am going on about, I would be very grateful...

Thanks in advance,
Ian

is this what you mean?? Scotchlok connectors!
[ElectriciansForums.net] Thingamy Bob....

Dont waste your time fitting that, its basicaly a resistor which fools the ecu into thinking the car is getting more cold air than it actually is

Could and will cause unnecessary damage, if you want a faster car go get it remapped correctly

Tuning mod chip things from ebay are cheap for a very good reason

If they were ok there wouldnt be such a thing as a company that remaps or chips your car as everyone would be buying these mod chips.

You have to be really naive to think these things are actually worth something, ebay is full of useless trash like this

As above, get it remapped. A remap is done using proper software, and is unique to your engine if it is done properly. A cheap and nasty "wire it in yourself jobby" has no idea of the condition of your engine etc. I know someone who bought one of these a few years ago, plugged it into the OBD socket as instructed, and a few days later his diesel engine was in a thousand bits on the M62. He paid about £150 for it, guess what refund he got?

But as Sir Jimmy Saville said, "It was good while it lasted"

Cheers...............Howard

Last edited by a moderator:
Ahh don't say that, I thought they where OK, didn't think they was banned there are tons of them on ebay...I haven't fitted it yet and won't do if it will do more harm than good...
Thanks again guys
the chip isn,t banned and neither are scotchlocks, the problems are as follows,1 the chip is actually a resistor which as stated fools engine into thinking its running cooler(on choke) and therefore uses more fuel as well as ignoring overheating problems, 2)scotchlocks are not a reliable connector and there have been cases where insurance companies have refused to pay out on claims related to vehicle electrical fires where scotchlocks have been used.

If you're going to use Scotchlock connectors pay a little extra and buy genuine Scotch ones, also the ones that have silicone grease in them are more reliable.

Reply to Thingamy Bob.... in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net