Things people think they need to buy? | on ElectriciansForums

Discuss Things people think they need to buy? in the Australia area at ElectriciansForums.net

T

thekingiam

just wondering is it just me or has everyone gone mad about thinking they have to buy these expensive gadgets to maintain there eqipment or has the electrician police forced us to buy more **** thats not needed?
was on this forum earlier and everyone was stating that now everyone needs to buy certified proving units to isolate corectly instead of checking on a known supply ( these proving units are just a batery and a 240volt capacitor and a resistor) expensive hey?
then a moment ago someone is on about cal cards to ensure your test eqipment can go without calibration for a year or two extra these are on e bay for 23.99 when all they are is a couple of resistors of vairying size, am i in the wrong buiseness?

OK ..... I'll talk to you. :)

I think you could be right about this.

It's looking to me as if this test equipment lark is going the same way as photography, where we're led to believe from the adverts in the glossy photgraphy magazines that we can't take good photos without the latest camera / lens / tripod / flashgun or whaever gizmo is the flavour of the month, where in reality an excellent photo can be taken with just a shoebox - as long as it has a deent lens stuck on the end of it & at the correct distance from the film !!

Before photgraphy, it was Hi-Fi, where we were brainwashed into buying this or that speaker / amplifier / turntable or whatever.

It's all about business making money.

i think your right although the diference is this stuff is being pushed into existance in the name of health and safety at incredible cost to the electrician or trainee electrician, before they understand or can aford all this crap. people who realise after buying into all this rubish are going to stop listening to any advice by the industry unless these scaremongers stop this nonesence

i think your right although the diference is this stuff is being pushed into existance in the name of health and safety at incredible cost to the electrician or trainee electrician, before they understand or can aford all this crap. people who realise after buying into all this rubish are going to stop listening to any advice by the industry unless these scaremongers stop this nonesence

I agree with you.

I'm glad I'm retired instead of just starting out.

When I was at college I was told to test for safe isolation you need either:
  • Certified test lamp with proving unit or
  • Approved voltage tester with self test facility.
An "approved voltage tester" could be a steinel type tester, which you can buy for £50 and can be used as a bell set; I don't know why everyone doesn't just go for that option.

While we're on the subject of unecessary expensive tat though - CFL lamps.
They're expensive, give out a poor light, have poor power factor (so are energy inefficient), are unreliable, contain mercury (so are environmentally unfriendly), are made in China (so have a high carbon footprint ergo environmentally unfriendly), and the binmen won't take them away so you're supposed to get in your car to take them to the household recycling centre.
So.... Why are we being forced to use them again?

novusSparkus you were told that okay, i was in college 2007 and told proving unit or supply i have to state that was 16th edition regs but my point is can anyone find me the regulation in gs38 or 17th edition or health and safety?also ime sure you would be able to make your own proving unit ( i have done electronics )
also are we going to be told next week that we need to buy a cal card even though its only a couple of resistors.

I'm sure you could build your own proving unit - the last step is to prove the tester on 'a known source' to check it hasn't failed between when you tested live and tested dead after isolation, so in theory could be a cct which is still live, so I don't see why it can't be something homemade.

Geordie I've tried using them I really have, but ended up switching back to 'proper' lamps. I think I'm going to have to stock up while I still can; fortunately I don't really use 100W.
I forgot to mention the control gear makes them stick out of old light fittings making them look even rubbish-er.

I'm sure you could build your own proving unit - the last step is to prove the tester on 'a known source' to check it hasn't failed between when you tested live and tested dead after isolation, so in theory could be a cct which is still live, so I don't see why it can't be something homemade.

Geordie I've tried using them I really have, but ended up switching back to 'proper' lamps. I think I'm going to have to stock up while I still can; fortunately I don't really use 100W.
I forgot to mention the control gear makes them stick out of old light fittings making them look even rubbish-er.

Hi Novus. I tried using them too - I can be quite adventurous for an old bloke - and after I tried them, I went out & bought a sh*tload of proper lamps !!!!!

Reply to Things people think they need to buy? in the Australia area at ElectriciansForums.net

Recommended Sponsor News

Exclusive Forum Offer! Free euro 2024 wall chart for first 10 responses!

Hi everyone,

We have 10 exclusive Uheat EURO 2024 Wallcharts to giveaway for Electricians Forum Members! The first 10 people to reply YES to this thread - I will message and get them sent out to you just in time for this years tournament! GO GO GO

Quickwire Now Sponsor ElectriciansForums.net

I am sure you will join me in welcoming our newest sponsors of ElectriciansForums.net - Quickwire! They have decided to join us after seeing you guys discussing their products here. Now we have an expert on board that you can chat to @Quickwire-Sam who will be happy to answer your queries!

[ElectriciansForums.net] Quickwire Now Sponsor ElectriciansForums.net

@Quickwire-Sam said "At Quickwire, we're all about speed, safety, and reliability. We're a family-run business, and every Quickwire connector is proudly made right here in the UK, ensuring noticeable quality. In short, Quickwire is the fastest connection method on the market. Whether you're an experienced electrician or a DIY enthusiast, Quickwire makes electrical connections ridiculously quick and easy. We're passionate about blending British craftsmanship with innovation. If you have any questions or if there's any way we can help, please just ask me!"

PCBWay Now Sponsor ElectriciansForums.net!!

I hope you will all join me in welcoming our newest sponsor to the forum PCBWay! You can contact their friendly people by sending a message to @PCBWay who will be happy to answer your queries.

Welcome to the community and thanks for your sponsorship!

[ElectriciansForums.net] PCBWay Now Sponsor ElectriciansForums.net!!

PCBWay provides services including PCB Prototype and batch Production, PCB Assembly (SMT), 3D Printing, CNC Machining, PCB Design, Electronics Modules Selling, etc. We are committed to meeting the needs of global makers from different industries in terms of quality, delivery, cost-effectiveness, and any other demanding requests in electronics.

[ElectriciansForums.net] PCBWay Now Sponsor ElectriciansForums.net!!

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

YOUR Unread Posts

This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by untold.media Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back