Three seperate T&E cables for lighting in kitchen? | on ElectriciansForums

Discuss Three seperate T&E cables for lighting in kitchen? in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net

S

student90

Hi all

I would really appreciate advice on where to connect the cables in my ceiling rose pendant set. I have always had no problem changing a light fitting/ceiling rose in other rooms around the flat as only one neutrel and one live wire to connect.

In my kitchen it's the first time I need to change a fitting ever. I have three seperate twin & earth cables hanging down(3 neutral, 3 live), so where do I connect the six cables. I have three spaces in LOOP, two in neutral and one in live with my new celing rose pendant.

Thanks Tony

Last edited by a moderator:
this is where the porblem lies one of the neutrals is a switch wire , what you need to do,firstley ensure that the supply is isolated then identify which wire is the switch wire, easily done with a meter , put the meter across each live and neutral and switch the light switch on till you get a continuity reading , once you have established that is the switch wire connect the black / blue wire to the Live terminal but identify it with brown sleeve , then the 2 remaining neutrals into the neutral terminal and the lives into the loop terminals ,oh and dont forget the earths CPC's into the earth terminal ,if in any doubt call an electrician

Why do you think you have 3 lives and 3 neutrals, it is more than likely one of the cables is a feed and switch wire and the other 2 may be live and neutral looping in and out of the fitting, or possibly 1 live and neutral and a switch wire and neutral if you have a second fitting that comes on as well as this one.

this is where the porblem lies one of the neutrals is a switch wire , what you need to do,firstley ensure that the supply is isolated then identify which wire is the switch wire, easily done with a meter , put the meter across each live and neutral and switch the light switch on till you get a continuity reading , once you have established that is the switch wire connect the black / blue wire to the Live terminal but identify it with brown sleeve , then the 2 remaining neutrals into the neutral terminal and the lives into the loop terminals ,if in any doubt call an electrician
What if he has another light looped of this then your suggestion may be wrong about the live loop?

Hi guys

I hope this helps from a non electricians dialect.

I cut/trimmed the old cable set up before that was connecting to a lampholder, there are 3 live wires(red) joined/twisted together, 2 neutral(black) joined and 1 neutral on its own.

the " neutral" ( black ) on its own is probably the switched live. if so see previous posts. sleeve in red and connect to lamp live. as previous posts, test with a meter. dead circuit, meter on ohms, switch switch, reads continuity. then all reds are loop, 2 remaining blacks are neutrals.

the black on its own would seem to be the (switch wire in SW/L), 2 blacks together maybe (neutrals in N) and reds (live in loop) if no other fitting comes on with this light, as mentioned before a multi-meter and basic knowledge of electrics would help if you are still struggling to understand then maybe you shouldnt be doing this....

Thanks for all advice :)

Two lights in the whole flat are not working, obviously the kitchen (post #1
In my kitchen it's the first time I need to change a fitting ever )
and my living room. All other lights/rooms are working fine(four different rooms working okay), does that help?

Thanks

he did say light so i asumed that one light but point taken
Ok, wasnt trying to be picky but by the nature of his post i assume he has little electrical knowledge and although i agree he says hes changing kitchen light their is nothing to say it dosnt come on with another or operates on its own and we are here to give good advice where as in his post it requires more info about the nature of the kitchen light(s) and its switching before we can give that advice.

if you have 2 lights not working and a 6 wires poking out of the ceiling ,one pair of those wires could be live , be careful , if you have one lighting circuit then you need to reconnect the lights as ive said taking it as you only have one light in the kitchen like has been said the single back is probably the switch wire , get stuck get in a spark take him 10 mins to do it

Ok, wasnt trying to be picky but by the nature of his post i assume he has little electrical knowledge and although i agree he says hes changing kitchen light their is nothing to say it dosnt come on with another or operates on its own and we are here to give good advice where as in his post it requires more info about the nature of the kitchen light(s) and its switching before we can give that advice.[/QUOTE

i know mate it was a very good point ,and i agree that he apears to have little knowlage , i must admit that im concerned about his last post unless he has more than one lighting circuit , he could have live wires poking out of the ceiling

It would suggest a loop in method and you've broken the circuit that feeds the lounge, i assume you put power back on to find this out and im hoping you just didnt turn the light off to remove the old fitting as if this is the case you may be lucky to be alive, we from this forum cant tell you how its wired as this could be done a few ways and requires a meter to check this, you should have noted all connections before taking wires out of old fitting we can only suggest what we think as an aid to your understanding but if you still cant understand it then i suggest getting someone who is qualified in.

Soz student 90 my post dropped in after yours and good choice just be careful if other lights are working in flat as you may have live wires hanging from your ceiling...

Reply to Three seperate T&E cables for lighting in kitchen? in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net