Tidal Power. | on ElectriciansForums

Discuss Tidal Power. in the Solar PV Forum | Solar Panels Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

there's a hell of a lot of energy in the tides. converting it to drive a turbine is feasible and not reliant on sunshine. it's really an extension to the water wheel principal.

will it be safe for wildlife? how fast will those blades turn, or will they be geared down to spin a turbine at rapid speeds?
It does sound feasible, but how much will this cost?
How maintainable is it?
How much will it impactupon the scenery of the area?
Will fishermen be able to fish around them?

There is no mention of cost in the article at all which I find a little deceptive at best.

1 unit could power 500 homes, which is quite impressive but at what cost in monetary terms aswell as environmental impact etc.

Better article here.....

Tidal energy turbine set up in the sea - Home News - UK - The Independent

Found a pic.....would need a good IP rating.....:rolleyes2:

[ElectriciansForums.net] Tidal Power.

Last edited by a moderator:
Interesting, just a shame that the big 6 are still involved, and I would be surprised if energy bills don't go up as a result of this being rolled out on a bigger scale. Then again it's easier to blame it on Mr Smith with 16 panels on his roof who generates his own...

The sooner someone comes up with a viable solution to storing electricity/energy (without getting knocked off before it comes to market) the better off we will all be.

Wouldn't want to get a fishing line snagged around that in a 10ft dinghy though, probably sink the boat on the down stroke!

That looks to be a lot easier to maintain than the HS1000 array that may be going ahead.

The fact that you can lift the motor out of the sea quite easily it would seem, can only be a good thing.

Not sure how they would maintain one of the HS1000 units as the video shows the entire unit being craned into position and firmly secured to the sea bed.

That one in northern Ireland works very well.
Apparently the seals avoid it and none have been injured by it.

Theres talk of a barrage across the river Severn/Bristol channel which if made could make up to enough power to service the whole population of Wales depending on where they put it. we have up to 15 metre tides here.
I think they've gone cold on the idea now though.

that one in strangford was the first of its kind in the world. apparently! harland and wolff built the first prototype generator for the orkneys project in 09 i think.

hmmn, so actually reasonable cost effective compared to PV. what about the ongoing maintaininace costs, bearing in mind small scale PV is basically maintainance free?

The video shows the 'head' of the turbines being able to be lifted off onto a type of maintenance platform.

Cost & longevity wise, I have no idea, must be in the region of 20 years plus though surely.

Reply to Tidal Power. in the Solar PV Forum | Solar Panels Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net