Tiling onto plywood Discussion Thread | on ElectriciansForums
  • Thread starter Daz
  • Start date
  • Replies 0
  • Views 129

Discuss Tiling onto plywood Discussion Thread in the Tilers Forums - UK Tiling Forum. area at ElectriciansForums.net

Tiling onto plywood

I read some posts earlier regarding tiling onto plywood.

I did a job just over a year ago. When I looked at it I advised that the 12mm wbp plywood was not a satisfactory substrate. The customers builder argued that it was and that he had been building bathroom & wetroom walls like it for years with no issues. We eventually reached a compromise where I had to tank the walls with a membrane (I used Porcelanosa Imperband) first.

The back wall area is 2.4m across, and the tiles were 930 x 330mm. I used Mapei Keraquick to fix the membrane & Mapei Keraflex to fix the tiles.
The pics below show a vertical crack that runs from top to bottom right down the centre of the wall, i.e. where the two plywood panels meet.

[ElectriciansForums.net] Tiling onto plywood Discussion Thread [ElectriciansForums.net] Tiling onto plywood Discussion Thread [ElectriciansForums.net] Tiling onto plywood Discussion Thread

I explained the issues with regards to thermal expansion caused by rapid heating and high humidity in wetrooms, but the builder knew best :lol:. I now have to strip everything out and build the walls correctly using a tile backer board, then re-tile all at the builders expense.

I hope the above helps illustrate why plywood is not a suitable tile substrate for high humidity areas.

Daz

Tiling onto plywood for the Original Article on Tiling Advice Forum

Reply to Tiling onto plywood Discussion Thread in the Tilers Forums - UK Tiling Forum. area at ElectriciansForums.net

Similar Threads

J
  • Article
Tiling over screed/plywood floor with height differences. Hi guys. Im a carpenter who has tiled a fair few floors over the years as i fit a lot...
Replies
Views
Johnny
J
  • Article
Trowel - with Mapei Standard Set Plus Some adhesives give info (not seemingly Mapei). I think the Mapei Standard Set Plus would suit be well as a...
Replies
Views
P
  • Article
Porcelain tiles potentially over weight limit: is this a big issue? Without thinking too much about it (DIY job), we bought these tiles, and now...
Replies
Views
poiupp
P
M
  • Article
Advice please, bathroom fitter has dot and dabbed tiles! Hi all, I'm hoping you can help with some feedback, please My parents are currently...
Replies
Views
Mitchell
M
P
  • Article
Large floor tile adhesive help Hi all, My 1st post and just wanting some help/reassurance on a DIY bathroom refurb. I’m putting down...
Replies
Views
parrydave
P

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

YOUR Unread Posts

This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by untold.media Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks