timer is gone again! | on ElectriciansForums

Discuss timer is gone again! in the Talk Electrician area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
A small b&b called me about light timer problem, the timer keeps blowing, it is for hallway lights, normally after 5 minutes the lights go off automaticly, but in the last year the times has blown for almost 4 times, so most of the hallway lights are on all the time except some blown ones. i checked the wiring of the timer and all the lights, looks fine, i assume some blown bulbs might have caused short circuit, and i am going to replace all the blown bulbs tomorrow along with the timer, anyone has some experience with this kind of light timer?

What type of lighting is it controlling???

Some timers get quite discombobulated once you start using them to switch inductive loads.

totally about 10 spot lights, but only 6 are working now, main voltage, i forgot to check the power of the lights, current could be too high actuallybecause the fuse in the timer is only 3A, however the owner said the first timer has worked for 10 years, this only became a problem since last year.

Remember filament lamps, especially halogen ones, have a very low resistance when cold.
I assume the 10 lamps are the correct rating... and the timer is of adequate rating for the nominal load.
Someone's not gone along over the years putting 50W lamps in when the originals were 20's have they?

As they are mains voltage, you could replace the failed lamps, and then directly measure the cold load resistance of the circuit.
Calculate the inrush current I=230/ (cold R) (You may be surprised at the result!) and check the timer spec that it is capable of handling such an inrush current.

You may be able to source a timer specifically for halogen lamps that has some sort of slow start - or else use a contactor as southwalesspark suggested.

Simon.

Reply to timer is gone again! in the Talk Electrician area at ElectriciansForums.net