Toilet light switch | on ElectriciansForums

Discuss Toilet light switch in the Electrician Talk | All Countries area at ElectriciansForums.net

S

screech

Hey guys, just a quick one for ya...

The job I'm on at the mo is comm/ind, couple of offices and factory/warehouse.

There will be 2 toilet rooms, one with wide access with one cubical, and one normal one with 2 cubicals.

Iv been having a disagreement with the other guy about thr light switches. I beleive they can go on the wall, as there is no shower/bath, plus it's all rcd protected.
And the other guy reakons it can't and has to be a pull cord, or on the wall on the outside of the room.

I'm 80% sure I'm right on this one.

Cheers!

Just as I thought then, cheers guys :)
I will also add they are putting the sink on the same wall as the light switches, just not sure how far away they are planning it at thr mo. (no actual plans or spec!)

Cheers

A sink is not a bath or shower. However I would make sure its out of the splash zone, (switch) cant find any regs but sockets in ktchens are supposed to 300 mil from the sink.

Bugsy, can you give me a clue as to other ways a commercial etc installation can differ from domestics ?- am having a little dip into commercial and industrial (research, not working as I know nothing )- My first kick off point s that 7671 applies to both, but where does it differ- if as I suspect, it differs greatly, can you give me a starting point so I can research from there. As far as I am concerned there are (guess) a million houses for every factory, so I probably wont go any further but I am fabulously interested in my profession and would like to know these things. Ta mate.

Last edited by a moderator:
In domestic ins. yes but this is not domestic / dwelling

TBH, i thought it was the same. So what are the height regs for switches in comm? Il be putting the disabled one at 1200, but all the others around the unit can go where...

Regarding the switch/sink, im sure it will be more than 300 - 400mm away. Plus as i said its all RCD protected, so im all good...

cheers

Screech, the light switch in a bathroom is a myth (domestic or otherwise) - a bit like bonding kitchen sinks. There is no regulation to contrevene if the zoning of the 'Special Location' is observed and adhered to when locating the switches. Building regs will dictate heights.

Gary D,
ResetTraining.co.uk

PS Jason - commercial, domestic or industrial it still BS7671 you work to - there is no difference.

A sink is not a bath or shower. However I would make sure its out of the splash zone, (switch) cant find any regs but sockets in ktchens are supposed to 300 mil from the sink.

Bugsy, can you give me a clue as to other ways a commercial etc installation can differ from domestics ?- am having a little dip into commercial and industrial (research, not working as I know nothing )- My first kick off point s that 7671 applies to both, but where does it differ- if as I suspect, it differs greatly, can you give me a starting point so I can research from there. As far as I am concerned there are (guess) a million houses for every factory, so I probably wont go any further but I am fabulously interested in my profession and would like to know these things. Ta mate.

Bugsy is completely correct, socket/switch heights apply to New Dwellings only and is stipulated in Approved document M. BS 7671 does not anywhere state heights of switches/sockets, only reg 553.1.6 mentions heights, but it only states that a socket should be mounted to prevent damage to the plug/felx that plugs into it.

But it does apply to disabled access?

I'm at the unit now, didn't get here while builders were here, but he has decided to chop my cables in, at 1450 to the center!! Where I had cables dropped waiting for me to do it. He moved one to the outside of the room, and kept one onside!! Iv marked the disabled one at 1200 to the top hoping he will do it before he tiles! Why don't people just leave things alone!
Sorry bit of a rant there!!

Was going to upload a pic of the sink/switch wall but can't seem to do it off the iPhone.

Cheers

Reply to Toilet light switch in the Electrician Talk | All Countries area at ElectriciansForums.net