Tony | on ElectriciansForums

Discuss Tony in the Electrician Talk | All Countries area at ElectriciansForums.net

S

silva.foxx

Tony

As you approach the 1000 post mark, may I publically thank you and praise you for your time and effort given to this great site.

Your knowledge and experience have helped many!

Thanks Tony.

Personally I love reading your stories from your many years experience within this field, and life in general.

Top man.

I haven`t been on here long but that guy certainly knows his stuff.
I think a college lecturing career awaits once its time to hang up the fluke!!!!

I haven`t been on here long but that guy certainly knows his stuff.
I think a college lecturing career awaits once its time to hang up the fluke!!!!

think hes already thrown the fluke out.
his posts are great, and hes very quick to defend people who dont know certain things, when others try and belittle them.

I love the idea of teaching, but what would I teach? I’m not domesticated even though I have the 17[SUP]th[/SUP], but that’s useless in heavy engineering. The only thing I know about part P is how to unblock a sewage pump. There’s years of practical experience up there but it’s how to get it across in to a usable form for others to use.
I love it when someone asks a direct question then I know where I’m coming from. Without that starting point I get lost.
My idea of running a cable would find me with a jackhammer in my hand!
I’m a rough arsed plant electrician that’s picked up a lot of stuff on the way.

I’ve been lucky, an apprenticeship to die for, then taken out in to the “real world” by my shift partner who was useless, the management knew this and every newly qualified electrician was sent out with Jim to find out how you would cope! Being dropped in to PLC programming at the deep end was the hardest learning curve.

I’ve been hospitalised 3 times over the years but I wouldn’t change any of it.

Thank you all for this thread.

Toni goes and has a quick weep in the corner.

He only said that to get the 1000 post .............Sorry m8 well done
I love the idea of teaching, but what would I teach? I’m not domesticated even though I have the 17[SUP]th[/SUP], but that’s useless in heavy engineering. The only thing I know about part P is how to unblock a sewage pump. There’s years of practical experience up there but it’s how to get it across in to a usable form for others to use.
I love it when someone asks a direct question then I know where I’m coming from. Without that starting point I get lost.
My idea of running a cable would find me with a jackhammer in my hand!
I’m a rough arsed plant electrician that’s picked up a lot of stuff on the way.

I’ve been lucky, an apprenticeship to die for, then taken out in to the “real world” by my shift partner who was useless, the management knew this and every newly qualified electrician was sent out with Jim to find out how you would cope! Being dropped in to PLC programming at the deep end was the hardest learning curve.

I’ve been hospitalised 3 times over the years but I wouldn’t change any of it.

Thank you all for this thread.

Toni goes and has a quick weep in the corner.

I never like to sound like i am blowing smoke up someones rear but there are a few gents on this forum i believe you could be the top one , i only hope to get to your knowledge one day ,
Many Thanks for sharing it so amicably

It takes all sorts to teach at college, i have a lecturer that's like you, domestic wise i run rings around him!, BUT.......hes awesome at heavy commercial and industrial! and it makes him all the better at what he does and all the better lecturer!

thanks for you contributions and keep the stories coming!!, i don't pretend to understand all of it because its not my field but i find them interesting and funny none the less.

A very well deserved acknowledgement, I couldn't agree more. A big thumbs up to silva.foxx for raising awareness too.

:icon14:

Hi Tony.I too agree that a lot of emphasis these days is put on the domestic element,in fact I had someone in ford tell me his son was a "real spark" who "wires up houses" not just "resets things like you idiots" which brought huge amounts of laughter to me and my fitter mate,yeah cos wiring in a double socket is so much more complicated than replacing a burnt out panel ofcontractors with no markings on them and vague diagrams!!!I think you'd find just your general electrical knowledge would be enough,you certainly have a ton of that!!!Ive never understood why theres no real control electricians courses about,to include plc's etc as it's a really interesting field and always plenty of work about,well not in Swansea but you know what I mean!!!Out of interest,how old are you Tony?

I once took a domestic lad with me to work one Sunday afternoon, it was hilarious! The plant manager knew him so I got away with it. Now don’t get me wrong he could run rings around me in a house, but when we had a control fault that afternoon I let him lead. The plant had good up to date drawings so faced with the drawings he seemed confident. I pointed out the circuit on the drawing we were looking at and let him go.
So from his collage learning he reasonably found the centre of the circuit and decided to test there. Me “where’s there?” Him “I don’t know”. I’m not rotten so I showed him the control marshalling cubical where the terminal was. He near dropped bow legged, the cubical was the size of a double wardrobe with doors front and back. About 2000 terminals for him to choose from. So terminal found the fault was before it, so it’s split it before the mid point and test again. Anyway to cut a long story short he wasn’t impressed with the ¾ mile walk to adjust a limit arm, but was very happy when I radioed the control room to start up and all the plant started.
He got his own back when he asked me to help on a house rewire!

As to my age I’m 55, but unfortunately I’m on 19 tablets a day to keep me going.

Last edited by a moderator:

Reply to Tony in the Electrician Talk | All Countries area at ElectriciansForums.net