Trac pipe??? Bonding anyone | on ElectriciansForums

Discuss Trac pipe??? Bonding anyone in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

C

Colsey c

Wiring a new build of 5 flats , the services are being brought in with plastic for water and the gas is also in plastic . After the stop cock the gas is being fed to each flat with Trac pipe which is stainless still roll coated in thick plastic, any ideas on bonding to this ,apparently plumber said any exposed stainless surface must be covered in silicone.
I was going to strip back plastic and bond to the stainless pipe then retape exposed pipe, but would this be classed as a plastic pipe??
Flats are approx 10 meters from incoming supply's fed with amoureds and switched fused.
Also could i cross bond all five incoming gas supply's or run five individual cables to save time.
Supply will be pme

Last edited by a moderator:
If the incoming services are plastic main bonding may not be required.....IR test between the first metalic section and the MET....(ensuring no parallel paths)...>22Kohm means not extraneous and no requirement to bond

Wiring a new build of 5 flats , the services are being brought in with plastic for water and the gas is also in plastic . After the stop cock the gas is being fed to each flat with Trac pipe which is stainless still roll coated in thick plastic, any ideas on bonding to this ,apparently plumber said any exposed stainless surface must be covered in silicone.
I was going to strip back plastic and bond to the stainless pipe then retape exposed pipe, but would this be classed as a plastic pipe??
Flats are approx 10 meters from incoming supply's fed with amoureds and switched fused.
Also could i cross bond all five incoming gas supply's or run five individual cables to save time.
Supply will be pme

I wouldn't do this - IF I had to bond it, I think I would be attaching the bond onto the fitting (which if my memory serves me correctly is solid brass) at the end of the Trac-Pipe.

I've just found this: http://www.ci.faribault.mn.us/assets/t/tracpipebonding.pdf which I think may help you. :)

I wouldn't do this - IF I had to bond it, I think I would be attaching the bond onto the fitting (which if my memory serves me correctly is solid brass) at the end of the Trac-Pipe.

I've just found this: http://www.ci.faribault.mn.us/assets/t/tracpipebonding.pdf which I think may help you. :)

"Hello Geordie Spark",

You are absolutely correct in what you stated about attaching the Bonding Clips / Clamps to a Fitting - NOT - the corrugated Tracpipe.

Although as you know I am not an Electrician it would occur to Me that fitting a Bonding Clip to a corrugated Pipe would mean that the clamp would not be contacting very much of the Pipe surface - ?

I am sure that the Link that you provided will be very helpful to the OP and other Members who will come across Tracpipe more frequently in the future.

Although in the USA they seem to be more concerned with Lightning strikes I am sure that the Electrical Bonding requirements / attachment points are Universal regarding attach to a Tracpipe Fitting ONLY.

Regards,

Chris - Registered Gas Engineer / Heating Engineer / Heating - Plumbing & Gas Contractor

Last edited:
Define extraneous.

"Hello loop3",

One definition is `Coming from the outside`.

I am sure that this does not constitute the `Full` definition for Electrical Regulations interpretation - but I thought that I would start it off.

Regards,

Chris

Thanks guys I haven't yet seen the pipe in the flesh trying to get some info at first fix stage before too late too get my cables in first time I've heard of this stuff run throughout a building.
Will go for Geordie sparks approach and bond to fitting if required.

Thanks guys I haven't yet seen the pipe in the flesh trying to get some info at first fix stage before too late too get my cables in first time I've heard of this stuff run throughout a building.
Will go for Geordie sparks approach and bond to fitting if required.

"Hello Colsey c",

A Problem with attaching the Screenshot meant that I had to do the message again - then I could not Delete this Post so I had to Edit it.

Please see My next message to You.

Chris

Last edited:
"Hello Colsey c",

Here is a Screenshot of a TracPipe 1" Male Iron Fitting - the Bonding Clip should be attached to the Hexagonal centre section once the TracPipe is fully installed / connected and Tested.

As these are Fittings where the TracPipe is `Flared`/ Seated by the operation of tightening the Fitting you should ensure that you don`t apply too much pressure to the Fitting when tightening the Bonding Clip / Clamp - as you do not want to disturb the Gas Joint - although it would take quite a lot of force to move the Fitting / TracPipe.

Regards,

Chris​

[ElectriciansForums.net] Trac pipe??? Bonding anyone

Last edited:

Reply to Trac pipe??? Bonding anyone in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net