Trainee Electrician with a tool addiction needs ideas. DAY 5 | on ElectriciansForums

Discuss Trainee Electrician with a tool addiction needs ideas. DAY 5 in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
So as a 46-year-old bloke who is currently doing L3 Electrical Installation what tools should I be collecting now. I'm a qualified electric vehicle master tech who is also a fabricator, welder and machinist so have all the tools for those roles. I have a megger X1 and most hand tools so I feel I've withdrawal symptoms from not buying many tools recently so some ideas for new gadgets would be appreciated.

You can never have too many screwdrivers...flat, pozidriv, Phillips (yuk!) torx, torque, tiny wee ones for stupid wee dimmer modules, and a set of assorted sizes in a case with a spinner handle that takes a ratchet ( go to Halfords for the accessories for that...you'll find out!) plus a set of "security" bits, a tiny ratchet set with bits and sockets with some simple right-angle screwdrivers to get you out of trouble, plus get a Dremel gas blowtorch for heat shrinking where you have no power (it comes with numerous bits including a hot-air nozzle and deflector, so no naked flame) and a 50m wander lead and a set of walkie-talkies if you work with others, and of course a 40W site radio to charge your batteries and annoy the ---- out of everyone else on site...and if you haven't got any ferrules and a decent crimper, add that to your list, insulated and uninsulated ferrules, and one of those machines that let you take card payments on the job, a big bargain box of TurboGold screws, a Bosch Go electric screwdriver for faceplates and general screwing (!)
numerous head torches and portable lights, decent cutters/shears and a pair of installation pliers...and finally, don't laugh...
A really cute Labrador, well trained...the ladies love 'em!
Hope this helps!

I'm with Pirate. Screwdrivers. Doesn't matter how many you've got you'll never have the right one so just keep buying. If I wasn't currently 100 miles from my van I would post a picture of my tool chest screwdriver draw. It's full. Plus the ones in my backpack and various other tool bags.

Aye .... one can never have enough screwdrivers ....

[ElectriciansForums.net] Trainee Electrician with a tool addiction needs ideas. DAY 5

or pliers, crimping tools, stripping tools and cutters ....

[ElectriciansForums.net] Trainee Electrician with a tool addiction needs ideas. DAY 5

One of the best tools I've ever bought is the Knipex 95 18 225 StepCut cable shears. I can't recommend these cutters highly enough!

The Cattano SocketMate is a handy addition to an electrician's toolbag!

Reply to Trainee Electrician with a tool addiction needs ideas. DAY 5 in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net