TT and Earth rods | on ElectriciansForums
Guest viewing is limited

Discuss TT and Earth rods in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

P

PEM

Just replaced old CU on TT with 7 way Crabtree RCBO board.

Original Ze was 230 on a copper tooth pick. Got Ze down to 6.5 ohms using 3 x 4ft 5/8th rods.

Just interested to know how low you guys have got a Ze down on TT and when you'd stop hammering down to Australia?

Cheers

Wazz on it!
Always worked for me, the old school on here will have all done it during their careers :crazy:

No you need double pole protection, not just switching, this is part of the reason for the 100mA TD RCD normally fitted as the main switch in TT systems.

In an ideal world you would have double pole protection for each circuit but until double pole RCBOs become more available it ain't going to be viable

Happy to be corrected if I'm wrong, never too old to learn!

I'm just dealing with small (eg. domestic) examples.

Care to enlighten us all on that little gem?

Sorry re-read my post, obviously if a DP RCD was protecting multiple circuits then a neutral/earth fault on one circuit would affect the others on that RCD. What I meant to say was that if RCBOs were being used a neutral-earth fault on 1 circuit wouldn't cause the others to normally trip.

Is it? Again enlighten us.

All the energised circuits would have current returning to the neutral bar, if there was a neutral to earth fault on the tripped circuit then with parallel paths back to the source, some current would 'route' through the neutral to earth fault and some would route back through the neutral, my assumption was that because it is TT the return path via the neutral earth fault would have a lot more impedance than the neutral route and so the current would be that much smaller.

Again, happy to be corrected.

Reply to TT and Earth rods in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net