TT change o PME??? | on ElectriciansForums
Guest viewing is limited

Discuss TT change o PME??? in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

R

redrocket10000

Hi Guys, Called out yesterday to a fault at a rental property where a cowboy has been at work. Fault I was called out for was that whenever something was switch on then the rccd would trip also upon inspection the rccd test button would not operate. Now upon contacting the cowboy to find out what he had done, He had changed the the system earth from TT to PME. This part of the job look ok except that there was no indication of the system actually being PME. so I unearthed the old rod and reconnected it, this then cleared the tripping and test button faults although the Ze is now at 400 ohms I will endeavour to get that value lower. All circuits had IR readings well above pass values L-E, N-E, L-N. So my question is, would connecting to a PME system that is not PME cause the tripping problems and test button inoperation because I cannot find any other reason for this happening. Any help in explaining this would be much appreciated thanks.:confused::confused:

could be the floating earth causing the problem. and why was the cowboy messing around with DNO equipment.? sounds like you may be following him on other jobs. he's obviously got no clue what he's doing.

So did you find the neutral earth link for the diy PME as your explanation is a little confusing. He had changed the the system earth from TT to PME. This part of the job look ok except that there was no indication of the system actually being PME .

I take it you didn't tighten any loose connections which was possibly causing the original fault !

He had connected a 16mm earth cable from the distributors fuse cut out neutral block to the MET as do the REC...although the screw that holds the neutral block cover in place was missing making the sliding cover removeable without a need to remove the main fuse. The first thing I did was check terminations for tightness, then IR tests on all the circuits, which were all good. There was no PME label on the main cut out.

There may be no PME available in that area. Is it overhead supply or underground supply? If O/h supply you should be able to see if PME available by looking at the poles carrying the O/H supply. Should be PME labels about head height on each pole. Also about every other pole there will be an earth connection to ground.

Thanks.
So how have you left the premises have you got the Ra down to a acceptable level. I know you got the call re a tripping RCD but is it a 16th or 17th edition board re the upfront RCD if needed now for other ccts due to the disconnection times being way out! I still don't think the DIY PME was the reason for the RCD tripping and the test button not working IMO!

Reply to TT change o PME??? in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Similar threads

• Question
I would add though that a typical good TT rod of 100 ohms only needs 3V to have 30mA flowing and so trip an RCD, you might find that sort of N-E...
Replies
Views
FFS - popped it apart, found the same issue and thought I'd update... You guys were already there!
Replies
Views

Recommended Sponsor News

Exclusive Forum Offer! Free euro 2024 wall chart for first 10 responses!

Hi everyone,

We have 10 exclusive Uheat EURO 2024 Wallcharts to giveaway for Electricians Forum Members! The first 10 people to reply YES to this thread - I will message and get them sent out to you just in time for this years tournament! GO GO GO

Quickwire Now Sponsor ElectriciansForums.net

I am sure you will join me in welcoming our newest sponsors of ElectriciansForums.net - Quickwire! They have decided to join us after seeing you guys discussing their products here. Now we have an expert on board that you can chat to @Quickwire-Sam who will be happy to answer your queries!

[ElectriciansForums.net] Quickwire Now Sponsor ElectriciansForums.net

@Quickwire-Sam said "At Quickwire, we're all about speed, safety, and reliability. We're a family-run business, and every Quickwire connector is proudly made right here in the UK, ensuring noticeable quality. In short, Quickwire is the fastest connection method on the market. Whether you're an experienced electrician or a DIY enthusiast, Quickwire makes electrical connections ridiculously quick and easy. We're passionate about blending British craftsmanship with innovation. If you have any questions or if there's any way we can help, please just ask me!"

PCBWay Now Sponsor ElectriciansForums.net!!

I hope you will all join me in welcoming our newest sponsor to the forum PCBWay! You can contact their friendly people by sending a message to @PCBWay who will be happy to answer your queries.

Welcome to the community and thanks for your sponsorship!

[ElectriciansForums.net] PCBWay Now Sponsor ElectriciansForums.net!!

PCBWay provides services including PCB Prototype and batch Production, PCB Assembly (SMT), 3D Printing, CNC Machining, PCB Design, Electronics Modules Selling, etc. We are committed to meeting the needs of global makers from different industries in terms of quality, delivery, cost-effectiveness, and any other demanding requests in electronics.

[ElectriciansForums.net] PCBWay Now Sponsor ElectriciansForums.net!!

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

YOUR Unread Posts

This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by untold.media Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back