TT system - Why less than 200 π ? | on ElectriciansForums

Discuss TT system - Why less than 200 π ? in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

HappyHippyDad

-
Esteemed
Arms
Supporter
Reaction score
I have had a read through a few threads on a TT system needing to be below 200Ω and I wondered why the regulations state this figure?

I dont mean why cant we just let it be higher (as it will be protected by an RCD - so in theory (not good practice) just needs to be below 1667Ω)), I mean why 200? Where does this figure come from? Who decided on this figure and more importantly why? What happens at 200Ω that makes it safer than 250 or 300 for example?

Why not have a much lower figure that might actually aid in disconnection times. Is it to do with the logistics of having to add maybe 3 or 4 rods to achieve such figures or other reasons?

Thanks all...

Your guess is as good as mine, ...mine being that the figure of 200 has been picked from thin air!! Strange that no other country has a minimum TT earthing figure even approaching that arbitrary figure.... lol!!

Your guess is as good as mine, ...mine being that the figure of 200 has been picked from thin air!! Strange that no other country has a minimum TT earthing figure even approaching that arbitrary figure.... lol!!

I was hoping you'd be the one person that may know the answer to this question E54!!

I shall investigate... :detective:

Is it possibly related to the stability of the Ra value.... I have no idea, just throwing it in there! I have measured Ra's of 400 ohms that have fluctuated massively by a couple of hundred ohms at a different time of year. My own TT hovers around 20 ohms and seems fairly stable.

E54 do other countries normally have max/recommended Ra's, and if so what are they in China for instance.

Stability due to fluctuation does seem to be mentioned on other sites as a possible reason, so I think you may be right GayOwl!

It is a nonsense value, I personally believe it has no relevance to stability. I hear chatter about values potentially fluctuating up to 8 times their original value, but I can't see it really (that is unless you are using a 6 inch earth rod?!). The fact is, whatever the value, whether it be 1 ohm or 1000 ohms, you will make it stable by going in deep.

Lol, pity they didn't knock both zeros off it and halve it as well, all of a sudden you'd have a fully functional earth as well as a protective one.:)

Only ever done one TT install, that was way below 1Ώ.
Had PME been available back then I wouldn’t have allowed the NWEB (DNO) to connect neutral to my earth nest. It was better than theirs.

This may surprise you, it’s from a UKPN document. The document is actually about interconnecting MV and LV earthing. <1Ώ they can be connected.

Just look at the maximum LV value.

[ElectriciansForums.net] TT system - Why less than 200 π ?

I knock in around 8 rods a year at a guess and am occasionally troubled about the advice I give, which impacts on a customers cost. If I am getting say 30 for the Ra off one rod do I insist on bashing another one in... Customer, if they catch wind of the max values, may say I am doing unnecessary work and be a bit miffed. Obviously the decision is mine to make but it could bite me on the bum one day.

Another example I had was I knocked in two four footers coupled together and was only getting Ra of 65. Do I insist on bashing in more rods at other end of garden to see what gives.... That occasion I didn't as customer refused to accept further upheaval in their garden. I would have tried going deeper still but the last two ft of the rod ie 6-8 ft deep was taking 50 whacks of a lump hammer to move 1 cm further in. I always try and get below 20 if I can which too is a figure I have plucked outta nowhere!

Tony, getting <1 on your only TT is bloody good going!

Buy an earth rod driver for £35ish and 8 feet of rod will go in in about 30 seconds. Whatever value you get then will most likely be stable. When I have rodded a system, I will always go back for one year and check it quarterly to confirm it's stability. In two cases so far I have driven in multiple 12ft rods in crows foot formation to achieve sub 1 ohm values therefore negating the need to RCD protect distribution equipment, I went back monthly for one year, in both cases, to confirm stability, and in both cases, the values hadn't budged.

Tony, getting <1 on your only TT is bloody good going!

It's not as difficult as one may think, especially if like Tony you are installing a rodded earth nest or earth field.... But you aint gonna get anywhere near sub 1 ohm values with those short thin twigs they have the cheek to call earth rods these days. Those things are not much better than the test stakes i use with an earth tester....

I have never used 1.2m 5/8'' earth rods ever!! Only ever used the 3.2m (or is it 3.4m?) 3/4'' copper clad rods on all my projects, and on quite a few occasions multiples of, depending on ground conditions.... Whenever you use a screwed coupler to join two earth rods together, the Ra value will improve over time (12 to 18 months) as the soil consolidates around the upper length of rod.

if you look at regulation 411.5.2 , note 2 states that the resistance of installation of the earth electrode should be as low as practicable a value exceeding 200 ohms may not be stable

True, but because a value has been given as to be not exceeded, that then becomes the minimum value. For many these days, the industry has become the same as painting by numbers, so no number and they are up S*** creek without a paddle!! lol!!

I definitely wouldn't want an Ra reading above say 50 ohms regardless of upfront RCD's. The tendency seems to be to look at it only from the protective angle and ignore the functional side of the earth. For correct operation of surge arrestors and communications systems even 50ohms can be too high.

I definitely wouldn't want an Ra reading above say 50 ohms regardless of upfront RCD's. The tendency seems to be to look at it only from the protective angle and ignore the functional side of the earth. For correct operation of surge arrestors and communications systems even 50ohms can be too high.

Try convincing some here of that, ....ooops i forgot you have, and sadly like myself, failed miserably!! ...lol!!

I am liking this post as I have a strange fascination with earthing! As an aside I have always fancied getting into lightning protection design and install, but not too crazy about the heights involved!

I have been meaning for ages to get a metal workshop to weld a rod driver up for my SDS plus. Take it the SDS plus would do the job most of the time....rather than shelling out for a SDS max drill and driver.

I am liking the 25 max figure also. That kind of value I have found not easy to attain in my neck of the woods without going eight ft down. Where I do most of my work has a historical (from collated data from MET office over last 50 yrs or so) micro climate which is much drier than just a few miles inland. Maybe this area has a resultant lower water-table.

A Ra max of 25 would hopefully push all leccys to try n get to <10....

Noticed that HHD has been moonlighting and has a pseudonym elsewhere! Someone on there reckons the 200 figure originated with the NIC...

I have had a read through a few threads on a TT system needing to be below 200Ω and I wondered why the regulations state this figure?

I dont mean why cant we just let it be higher (as it will be protected by an RCD - so in theory (not good practice) just needs to be below 1667Ω)), I mean why 200? Where does this figure come from? Who decided on this figure and more importantly why? What happens at 200Ω that makes it safer than 250 or 300 for example?

Why not have a much lower figure that might actually aid in disconnection times. Is it to do with the logistics of having to add maybe 3 or 4 rods to achieve such figures or other reasons?

Thanks all...

This worries me, asking why it can’t be higher because RCD’s are used.

Sorry HHD but while everyone else is aiming as low as possible, you show what I think are your true colours.
It makes me wonder if you’ve just done a TT install and looking for an excuse to leave it in a dangerous condition.

But thanks non the less for starting the topic.

I have been meaning for ages to get a metal workshop to weld a rod driver up for my SDS plus. Take it the SDS plus would do the job most of the time....rather than shelling out for a SDS max drill and driver.

Your SDS plus would struggle. You really would need an SDS max breaker to give the rod the oomph it needs.

Reply to TT system - Why less than 200 π ? in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net