Twisted solid copper wire. | on ElectriciansForums

Discuss Twisted solid copper wire. in the DIY Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net

monardo

DIY
Reaction score
Hello,

When I bought my flat it came with all wiring installed (220V). When I looked at consumer unit I noticed that wiring is done with twisted solid copper wire. This means that they took 2x1.5mm as Live and 2x1.5mm as Neutral
[ElectriciansForums.net] Twisted solid copper wire.
something like this but solid copper instead of stranded. I have few questions:

1. I know that 2x1.5 does not equate to 3mm, but is it safe to assume that this setup can safely pass 25A?
2. Is there generally a huge problem with the way it is done?
3. What is the best way to connect these wires to MCBs or Neutral bar. At the moment the ends are just hand twisted and inserted directly under screw. One option I was thinking to use 3 connector WAGO, but they are only 20A. Another option is to twist the ends with drill and then to use ferrules.

Thanks

1. I know that 2x1.5 does not equate to 3mm, but is it safe to assume that this setup can safely pass 25A?
In the UK the safe current for a cable is determined by considering how it's installed, eg under insulation, or buried in a wall, or in conduit, etc. If in e.g. conduit, and you are talking 1.5 mm2 cross sectional area, I think it's 15A here.
So using two 1.5mm2 in parallel in the UK gives around a 30A rating.
I imagine you know what current rating your local regulations specify.
2. Is there generally a huge problem with the way it is done?
No
3. What is the best way to connect these wires to MCBs or Neutral bar. At the moment the ends are just hand twisted and inserted directly under screw.
In the UK we run 'ring final circuits' that form a loop from MCB, around all accessories, and back to the MCB. So putting two 1.5mm2 or 2.5mm2 into a MCB terminal is standard practice here. Normally the two cables straight under the clamp/washer that the MCB screw operates on, or both in the same Neutral bar hole. We need to test the continuity/resistance of the ring, so the two ends are not twisted together.
One option I was thinking to use 3 connector WAGO, but they are only 20A. Another option is to twist the ends with drill and then to use ferrules.
I don't think the Wago is necessary, and for me putting the straight bare ends of the cables into the MCB is the better option. I don't understand the preoccupation with twisting wires together that we see in YouTube videos from around the world!
Do you have local workmanship norms that say differently?

Last edited:

Reply to Twisted solid copper wire. in the DIY Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net