• Start date
  • Replies 5
  • Views 841
  • Tags
    None

Discuss u.p.s. in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

B

brightspark2010

Can a ups beconnected onto the load of a ups saw this today and someone said that they thought they may interfere with each other i dont know much about them really.

Any ideas?

sorry you have lost me!!

a UPS works alongside mains incoming power!! its effectively a big bank of batteries that in the event of power failure goes through an inverter to convert DC-AC and then through a transfer switch to supply juice for a nominal time!

so connecting a UPS to a UPS pretty much defeats the object of what its doing and would never see power loss and thus would just continue to draw current from the downstream UPS

There are many different types and purposes for UPS so hard to give a defintive answer. I can only assume you want to put them in series because you have a very large current but short duration UPS for small breaks and brown outs and the like and say one or two smaller ones that provide low current but for a much longer duration say computers and the like.
I cannot see why plugging one into the supply of the other would be an issue, afterall for the upstream UPS its just a load and presumably when the upstream eventually drops out the downstream can continue for a longer time.
Best to ask the manufacturers if you think its a problem.

If the first UPS has a pure sine output I don't think they'd 'interfere' with each other. You have me stumped trying to think of an application that would require this kind of configuration though.

Reply to u.p.s. in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net