Uni strut | on ElectriciansForums

Discuss Uni strut in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Pete999

-
Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score
When I was traveling we used to use a lot of uni strut and used to cut it with a metal cutting chopsaw, that was a long time ago, is there anything on the market that has been brought out recently, or better still, what method do you guys use, as I say it's been a while and things have moved on. The reason I ask is I have a mate who has asked me the very same question, and would like to help, so grateful for any ideas.

call me old fashioned, but i've still got all my fingers.:

[ElectriciansForums.net] Uni strut

call me old fashioned, but i've still got all my fingers.:

View attachment 29301

Too much hard work Tel….lol. The chopsaw is still the daddy for cutting large amounts of Unistrut and rod. And can be used for filing down the edges. Just don’t tell the health and safety police!:wink_smile:

Last edited:
Use this...

Makita 2107FK 110V Portable Band Saw

and you'll never want to use a chopsaw again.

less noise, less mess, less filing, and less danger..
and, no need to worry about hot works, or abrasive wheels training..

Last edited:
Totally agree with that, but if I just needed a few cuts I'd be careful with a grinder
Very difficult to cut straight with a grinder, plus the amount of filing of the sharp edges will take longer than using a hacksaw, most of us have been there and done it, trust us, a chop saw is the way forward if you need to cut alot.

I do very little with tray and the like so don't have a requirement for anything other than a hacksaw in all fairness, I have seen these small band saws and look quite good.

ate you saying an angle grinder is classed as hog works? I suppose it does flick off hot bits

I do very little with tray and the like so don't have a requirement for anything other than a hacksaw in all fairness, I have seen these small band saws and look quite good.

ate you saying an angle grinder is classed as hog works? I suppose it does flick off hot bits

It definately needs abrasive wheels training on most sites and hot works on a fair few

Hog works is a new one on me:p

I've not had any formal abrasive wheels training but am more than capable of safely using an angle grinder, I'll have a look, I could always get myself a bit of paper to say I am capable.

But without proper training how do you know that you are using it correctly?
I learned a few things when I did the training and I thought I was more than capable already.

Reply to Uni strut in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net