Unidentified noise in party wall plumbing advice | on ElectriciansForums
  • Thread starter shrewmouse
  • Start date
  • Replies 0
  • Views 157

Discuss Unidentified noise in party wall plumbing advice in the Plumbers Forums area at ElectriciansForums.net

Unidentified noise in party wall Hi 🙂 Please can anyone help to identify this noise in the wall between me and my neighbour? Complicated but will try to explain.
It occurs every few (7 - 10?) weeks, when it does it's very regular, every 21 mins plus a few seconds.. it's like a donkey - "squeak honk".. varies in volume. Continues for a few days like that, then stops. Sound file attached. Is this familiar to anyone??
It's only audible upstairs, in my bedroom. The noise emanates from a specific place within the area of next door's chimney breast as it goes up between our walls. On the other side of that is her bathroom but nothing can be heard on her side upstairs in that area.
There is no plumbing in my house near that wall (except downstairs in my bathroom below, short length of pipe direct from the mains entry, along the wall at floor level until running upwards just behind some tiles to my electric shower unit) and nothing can be heard in that area.
My own water supply upstairs is limited to a roof tank and a basically unused water heating tank in the bedroom but these pipes go up through the centre of the house and the noise is definitely not coming from them. No pipes in the floor upstairs.
I have no central heating.
These are very old cottages. Downstairs, next door has a cloakroom at the front where water pipes enter her house. This area used to house an old fireplace, and her chimney breast still exists there. The pipes appear to enter and then run along the base of the blocked off fireplace, before continuing around a small corner and into the kitchen behind cupboards, up a wall and thence around the house. Her bathroom is above but as far as i know the water and heating pipes approach that from a different direction via the stairs and do not run along the party wall - apart from that initial area downstairs within the old fireplace area.
I've turned off and drained my entire water system, to no avail. Apparently she is unable to try that herself because it would mean resetting the...

Read more

Unidentified noise in party wall to read more on the original thread at Plumbing Advice

See also UK Plumbing Advice for all UK plumbing advice needs.

Reply to Unidentified noise in party wall plumbing advice in the Plumbers Forums area at ElectriciansForums.net