Unswitched FCU in bathroom on rcd potected circuit outside of Zone 2 | on ElectriciansForums

Discuss Unswitched FCU in bathroom on rcd potected circuit outside of Zone 2 in the Australia area at ElectriciansForums.net

O

olsonn

I have been asked to put a panel heater in a bathroom which I had planned to put on an unswitched FCU within the bathroom but outside of Zone 2. Now that I have read the OSG Table 8.1 I am not sure that this is permitted. Do the regs class the FCU as a socket or am i allowed to do it. I was going to do it tomorrow so all your views help etc greatly appreciated

You're fine, nothing stopping you installing an unswitched fused spur outside of Zones 0,1 and 2.
Obviously it will be protected by an RCD? And supplementary bonding in place if required?

Sorry to resurrect an old thread here, but wouldn't an unswitched FCU be classed as an 'accessory' as opposed to 'switchgear'? Either way, 'accessories' are not permitted in Zone2 either unless they're SELV even if they are IPX4.

So a switched and/or unswitched 13AFCU have to go outside Zone2 and only has to be IP2X, not IPX4 then ...........

Last edited:
Sorry to resurrect an old thread here, but wouldn't an unswitched FCU be classed as an 'accessory' as opposed to 'switchgear'? Either way, 'accessories' are not permitted in Zone2 either unless they're SELV even if they are IPX4.

So a switched and/or unswitched 13AFCU have to go outside Zone2 and only has to be IP2X, not IPX4 then ...........

Accessories are allowed, if they don't have switches.
"In zone 2:
switchgear, accessories incorporating switches or socket-outlets shall not be installed with the exceptions of:".....

Sorry to resurrect an old thread but.... My question is, if a fused spur is run to the bathroom for a infrared heater from the final ring would it need RCD protection. Both the heater and the FCU would be outside the zones. Is this classed as a new circuit?? and would it be notifiable

1. RCD is required far all equipment in bathroom. no exceptions.. 2. yes it is notifiable, as it's in a special location. does not have to be a new circuit if in a bathroom. any work apart from maintenance or like for like replacement is notifiable in a bathroom.

Reply to Unswitched FCU in bathroom on rcd potected circuit outside of Zone 2 in the Australia area at ElectriciansForums.net