US Heater for UK | on ElectriciansForums

Discuss US Heater for UK in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

codger

-
Reaction score
Hello chaps. Friend of mine has recently bought himself an American 120V ac 60Hz heater from EBay, (yes he was ****ed), and has tasked me with me finding a solution to him using it here in the good old U of K.

Any ideas...?

Read up a bit on it. Apparently heating elements do not really mind the change in frequency, but I'm thinking the voltage would be problematic.

Would a 240/110V transformer be suitable....?

Thanks in advance. :cool3:

The voltage is of course a concern but without the wattage its hard to say if its practical or not, usually in this case you just tell them lesson learnt as the transformer is usually just as expensive as the heater itself meaning a loss with respect to getting the correct voltage heater.

What type of heater is it and how many elements does it have? Maybe a photo or two?

You wouldn't be suggesting what I think lol, I thought of putting the elements (if possible) in series too but knocked the idea as you take on the product responsibilty and if it ever failed or worse then you end up in the Quagmire, not worth the hassle IMHO unless its your own then its time to experiment :tounge_smile:

You wouldn't be suggesting what I think lol, I thought of putting the elements (if possible) in series too but knocked the idea as you take on the product responsibilty and if it ever failed or worse then you end up in the Quagmire, not worth the hassle IMHO unless its your own then its time to experiment :tounge_smile:

If the elements are equal size then it works.
It's a common practice in stage lighting where 120V and 28V lamps are used in various lights.
120V lamps are connected in pairs in series, sometimes by the use of a splitter cable with a blue 16A plug and two yellow 16A sockets
28V aircraft landing lamps are fitted into par cans and wired in series groups.
Or my real favourite is the 'howie batten' which has two circuits of series strings of 10x12V MR16 lamps (it's American), so in this country you just connect two of these things in series together. :)

If the elements are equal size then it works.
It's a common practice in stage lighting where 120V and 28V lamps are used in various lights.
120V lamps are connected in pairs in series, sometimes by the use of a splitter cable with a blue 16A plug and two yellow 16A sockets
28V aircraft landing lamps are fitted into par cans and wired in series groups.
Or my real favourite is the 'howie batten' which has two circuits of series strings of 10x12V MR16 lamps (it's American), so in this country you just connect two of these things in series together. :)

I was just jesting dave with my reply to Marvo, you fart in a teacup over here and you get your --- sued in America for causing an hurricane - as long as he isn't adapting and trying to sell this product over her then its a possibility 'for a mate' :)

Hello chaps. Friend of mine has recently bought himself an American 120V ac 60Hz heater from EBay, (yes he was ****ed), and has tasked me with me finding a solution to him using it here in the good old U of K.

Any ideas...?

Read up a bit on it. Apparently heating elements do not really mind the change in frequency, but I'm thinking the voltage would be problematic.

Would a 240/110V transformer be suitable....?

Thanks in advance. :cool3:

If it's a fan heater the frequency will matter.

Assuming it's just elements, some US devices come with changeable internal links to alter the wiring for dual voltage because they also use 230V in some areas of the States. Some appliances on the other hand don't but if you're a competent sparky and capable of assessing and managing the risks it might be possible to safely convert it to another voltage by reconfiguring or rewiring.

Some/many shaded pole motors will run happily on 50 Hz or 60Hz but the difference in voltage would guarantee its demise ie if it's wound for 110V it won't enjoy a 230V supply.

Don't do it. One of our technical QC guys mistakenly ran a japanese 100v element on a 230v supply. The thing caught fire the alarm went off and the whole factory had to be evacuated. Trust me we make heaters for a living.

Reply to US Heater for UK in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net