Ventilation advice | on ElectriciansForums

Discuss Ventilation advice in the Talk Electrician area at ElectriciansForums.net

P

Pacey

Hello to everyone! I'm new to this forum so I don't know if I've posted this in the right place but here goes!

I have been asked to install two extractor fans in a small one bedroom flat. The tenants in the flat are experiencing problems with damp/condensation. I suggested that the landlady contacted a damp proofing company for advice and they told her to install a good quality extractor fan with a humidistat in the bathroom and the kitchen as the problem was being caused by poor ventilation.

I am a time served NIC registered sparky with over 20 years experience so have fitted many fans before, but as I don’t get involved with new build projects, I am not really up to speed with the latest products.

I want a fan that has a humidistat and is very quiet so as not to disturb the tenants as it is likely to be running a lot of the time. I have looked at ‘Airflow’ and ‘Vortice’ products but there seem to be so many different models to choose from.
I have priced the job and allowed about £100 for each fan but I could revise this price if I need to spend more.

Is there anyone in the ventilation game that can advise me?

Many Thanks,
Paul.

Hiya, in a job we did a while back, we had to install a heat recovery system to eliminate the problems you describe. I seem to remember that it consisted of a box, with two fans. I think it sucked air from some rooms and diposited it in others. From what I can remember it ran constantly, but had a boost setting, controled via a humidistat when it got too damp. sorry i'm so vaige!!

I'm not sure how easy it would be for you to fit now from what you say, as it was on a loft conversion when we did it.

Rich

i fitted a Primeline Humidistat fan from wholesaler to eliminate build up of moistre from a damp bathroom ...!! fan cost me £16.00 and £4 for fixing kit! solved the problem with in a few days!

Wow, 8 replies already! everyone must have stayed in tonight!

The heat recovery system sounds good but I don't think the owner will want to pay for that.

I think the fans being quiet and cheap to run are the two important factors here.

Just wondered if anyone has used a good product?

Paul.

You want a central feugal Fan quieter and better extraction rate Xpleair premier are a good one they are a bit bigger than a standard fan but still 4 inch hole. There extract rates are very good and are very quiet. They are humidistat with pull cord overide, I have fitted loads. The heat recovery are great but a bit pricey. If you speak to your local wholesaler they should sort you out.:)

Thanks for that iconnect, I will make some enquiries tomorrow.
I take it you are talking about a centrifugal wall/ceiling fan? I normally fit centrifugal in line fans (manrose CFD 200 T) if I can get into the roof space but they are too noisy for this job and would have to be fitted with a remote humidistat.
It doesn’t matter too much what the fans look like as this is a let property.

U must have been in some of the same dumps that i have,

120c in the shade with 100% humidity from all the damp clothes, house like a botanical gardens

Sounds like my house condense on the wall due to putting cloths on the radiators at least we can grow fresh banana's , if its that bad then humidistat fans may even be an idea for dehumidifiers

There is a unit around that is mounted in the attic with a vent on the landing,its called a dry air unit

It blows in dry air,with adjustable flow rate, and this expels damp throughout the house

My mate had terrible condensation problems and fans of all shapes and types,all to no avail
this dry air unit was installed and got shot of the condensation problems in a jiffy

Reply to Ventilation advice in the Talk Electrician area at ElectriciansForums.net