Voltage balance (two sources) | on ElectriciansForums

Discuss Voltage balance (two sources) in the Electrician Talk | All Countries area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
I have 2 power sources.One is the Solar panels and the other is the Generator.
The solar panels Voltage output is 233V -228V but the generator gives 228V when there is no or small load and 210V when the big load is on.
The maximum load is 8KVA
So i want to install a voltage regulator to balance the two sources.

Is there any recommendations from where to buy and which one? What specifications i will need to pay attention?
This is my first V/R installation so i would need all the advises.

Thanks.

Section 7.10 of tyhe BRB is very specific on the control gear for PV systems .GN7 really spells it out as we. you will then have to tie theis in to the generator out but which will requier ballancing and possible a frequency rectifier. the PV cells generat D.C so an inverter reqiered there.
Its ounds like a complicated job so be carefull and possibly think about getting an expert it to give advice if you do the phisical work.

I have 2 power sources.One is the Solar panels and the other is the Generator.
The solar panels Voltage output is 233V -228V but the generator gives 228V when there is no or small load and 210V when the big load is on.
The maximum load is 8KVA
So i want to install a voltage regulator to balance the two sources.

Is there any recommendations from where to buy and which one? What specifications i will need to pay attention?
This is my first V/R installation so i would need all the advises.

Thanks.

Can you confirm you are running islanded as opposed to parallel with the Grid?

What size PV?

If Generator is only giving you 210V there is something wrong. What is the rating of the Generator?

Can you confirm you are running islanded as opposed to parallel with the Grid?

What size PV?

If Generator is only giving you 210V there is something wrong. What is the rating of the Generator?

Size of PV is 5KW
Is not parallel.We have only 2 sources, the Solar Panels and the Generator.The solar Panels is our main source.If the batteries goes empty then the inverter switch to the Generator.
When the Generator is On, it gives 228V and as the load increases the voltage is accordingly reduced.The Generator is 15KVA and the house's maximum load is 8KVA.

Surely your solar panels are charging the batteries via a charge controller so what do you need to balance the voltages for??

I want to balance the voltage range to 220V-230V and not have a big voltage difference.Now the electronics in the house is not safe when the voltage range falls from 233 to 210V

Is the system supplying the house with 230VAC from the inverters then changing over to Generator when the batteries get too low? Also, do the solar panels just charge the batteries?
A simple schematic of your system would be helpful. The generator should easilly be able to supply it's full voltage at it's rated power so i would suspect that the generator voltage regulation is at fault. Have you checked this?
One way around it is to use the generator to power high capacity battery chargers to charge the batteries when they're low thus the supply to the house always comes from the inverters

Last edited by a moderator:
Is the system supplying the house with 230VAC from the inverters then changing over to Generator when the batteries get too low? Also, do the solar panels just charge the batteries?
A simple schematic of your system would be helpful. The generator should easilly be able to supply it's full voltage at it's rated power so i would suspect that the generator voltage regulation is at fault. Have you checked this?
One way around it is to use the generator to power high capacity battery chargers to charge the batteries when they're low thus the supply to the house always comes from the inverters

The inverters switch to the generator when the solar power(batteries) have not enough energy left.
The generator charge the batteries and supply the house.When the batteries are recharged the inverter switch back to Photovoltaic.
My concern is, when the Generator is On the voltage is 228V.But as the load increasing the voltage drops.When the maximum load is on the generator produce 210V and sometimes 208V.So i have 20V drop.That is a 8% drop.
Like you said the voltage regulator of generator is probably the fault.
Thanks.

Reply to Voltage balance (two sources) in the Electrician Talk | All Countries area at ElectriciansForums.net